Modified Truss

Originally Posted By: ccoombs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was called out to do an engineering evaluation on a modified truss. The home owner had a home inspection done and it was noted in the report as an item to be reviewed by an engineer.

The question I have is how would you note the modified truss? It was very obvious that the trusses were modified to fit the FAU and that a fix had been provided. It was a couple hundred $$ for me to spend less than 10 minutes. It just seemed a bit much to suggest an engineering evaluation rather than just a noting the trusses were modified and repaired.

By the way, these homes were 6 years old and the developer paid for the engineering evaluation. The builder was Barratt American. That is some major customer service!

Originally Posted By: jpope

modified truss and obviously for (what appeared to be) an addition to the home, my recommendation would have been to check that appropriate permits had been obtained and signed by the AHJ.

I occasionally see modified (butchered) trusses in garages that are obviously "home owner" modifications for extra storage space and the like. These are the ones that I will recommend that you earn your money on ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: troberts1

Hi Curtis,

I am a past contractor and can tell you that in my county any time a truss is modified in any way engineering and a fix is required. this is usually done by going to the truss company that made the trusses and have them input changes into the computer and print a fix. The inspector was not out of line. and checking on appropriate permits is also a good recommendation.

Originally Posted By: mmasek

If a home inspector noticed a modified truss and there is no paper work with an engineer’s seal approving the modification, then a structural engineer would be called for an evaluation.

Originally Posted By: jstewart1

I agrre with Ted. Any modification to an engineered truss would have to come from the truss manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

I agree that if a truss has been modified/cut/butchered an evaluation by an engineer is required.

However, this situation involved a modification to install the original FAU by the builder. It was a model unit and the trusses in the production units were revised. The fix provided involved added webs, plywood gussets that were glued and nailed, and both truss fixes were were identical. It was obviously not a homeowner installed fix.

If I was doing the home inspection on this home I would have noted that the trusses were modified and appeared to have a field repair provided. I would not have noted for a structural evaluation.

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/truss.jpg.jpg ]

BTW: this is the roof. Note that the truss system is 2x4 on 32 inch center

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/tileroof.jpg.jpg ]

--
This Ole House-Home Inspections
William A. Campbell TREC # 6372
Serving the Texas Coastal Bend
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)