Moisture Meters

Hi Gang,

I am looking into purchasing an new moisture meter and was looking for some feedback. Anyone love or hate certain brands or models. Any known defects? Thanks very much for your input.

Ed Rossi
FL State Certified Home Inspector HI-1583
FL State Certified Real Estate Appraiser RD-3731
FL Licensed Public Adjuster A226670

GE Protimeter

I mainly use a GE Protimeter Mini. Works well.

I agree, this one is a good tool

Im looking for the same thing, I have been inspecting for about a year and a half and using a cheap 40$ moisture meter I got on Amazon (not sure the brand), It serves its purpose in making me look like I’m going that extra mile it testing moisture content when I suspect a problem but I am secretly always concerned about its accuracy. Been looking to invest in a higher quality tool and not knowing what brand to go with.

I have a Ryobi temp meter as I have a Ryobi jobsite camera that works fine for my 203K work and a Ryobi cable camera. I have extra batteries and chargers and have had no issues with these inexpensive tools.

Aside from that I have the better equipment. For moisture I the better tools make me feel more confident but no one has proven that $40 meters don’t do the job well enough. Find the moisture, report it and your good.

I saw a used protimeter mini on my local Craigslist for $100, I am tempted to buy it.

I just read the Amazon reviews since I don’t know much about these tools, good reviews and I’ll buy anything.

I started with a cheaper unit and then upgraded to a GE Protimeter. I wish I would have upgraded sooner…

What was the obvious difference?

I felt I was getting some false positives. Check an area with a water stain which showed moisture…do a comparison sample and still had moisture even though no signs of it.

The cheaper unit was pinless and had a bigger foot print making it harder to get into tight places. The surveymaster has pins which is nice for the attic and has a much smaller foot print. I simply have more confidence in the surveymaster as it seems to produce less false positives.

Delmhorst 2000, with accessories.

Survey Master…

Survey master

For home inspections, how accurate does it have to be…wet is wet…Any moisture someplace it does not belong is TOO MUCH. Even the cheaper models will pick up and register the normal moisture on your fingers.

I agree but the inexpensive ones require contact with the wetness. The survey master can pick up moisture 1/2-3/4 inch behind a surface.

I’ve tried it with vinyl flooring, the moisture under the floor may not register on a lower price point model. To me that’s a big difference.

It finds Moisture I write it up and move on .
I know many who are pleased with this.
Cheap enough to carry a spare for the one you loose

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Tools/Hand-Tools/Carpenter/Marking-Layout/Moisture-Meters/9-Volt-Rapitest-Wood-Moisture-Test-Meter/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I1010587?Ntt=moisture+meter

$43.99 EA
Quantity

• This meter offers additional features and performances beyond those of a regular moisture test tool
  • The meters contact probes are at the end of a 3 foot coiled cable for detecting moisture in difficult to reach locations
  • The 10 point scale corresponds to moisture levels from 10-28%
  • Scale and reference chart correlate relative and moisture percentage readings
  • Great for inspectors, contactors and homeowners
  • Find out if potentially damaging excess moisture is present
  • Test hard or soft wood, concrete, plaster, carpet & more to determine the extent of moisture problems
  • Locate and trace roof leaks & water seepage; assess the extent of wet rot & hidden condensation
  • Use it to check surfaces before painting, wallpapering or laying floors or tile
  • Helps you to select drier lumber
  • Contact probes are on a 3’ coiled cable for testing in hard to reach spots
  • Dual reading scale gives relative (1-10) & moisture percentages (10-28%) readings
  • Requires one 9 volt battery (not included)
  • Instruction sheet included

Agree Roy…I have cheap ones, expensive ones, Deep Wall ones. One the main reasons I still carried the cheap one with the pin probe at the end of the 3 ft cord is for Cathedral ceilings with no attic and places where I could not normally reach, like in narrow places in attics & crawl spaces. It only took me one time to realize the pinless type was pretty much useless in these situations. I made an extension pole with a spring clamp take grips the probe tightly, stopped at Radio Shack and bought a generic extension cord for the probe cable. Then I could stand on the ladder, extend the pole, and read those 14 foot or higher spots that the buyers wanted me to check. And when they wear out after a few years, toss it in the trash. I still have some NIB spare meters in the supply closet in the office.

I’ve got several meters.
My latest purchase is the MO 270. No more need to use a ladder for those hard to reach areas.