Mold Inspections ?

Originally Posted By: Russell Stephens
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is it really worth it to do mold inspections?

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Oh, boy…

Let's see. I have my Vallium, my Zanax, my Lithium, and my Jack Daniels. Down the hatch. There! Now I'm ready. Where was I? Oh yeah... Mold.

In the interests of non-violence (I'm a peace-loving guy, really), all I'll say is that opinions vary. So, I think I'll let someone else take this one.

Before I go, however, some advice... You may want to search this board for similar postings on the mold issue. I personally think that most inspectors would serve the public better if they got explosives licenses and put on fireworks displays on the 4th of July. It would be a whole lot safer to their livlihoods, and easier to obtain insurance to perform the work and not worry about getting their a$$es sued off....

And, I would strongly suggest that you ask your insurance carrier if your E&O has a mold exclusion, and to seek the advice of counsel.

The room is spinning... Antie Em, Toto, it's a twister...

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

The Hawaii Association of REALTORS intends to offer its members an environmental hazards booklet that will provide a comprehensive overview of all the environmental hazards that must be disclosed in a transaction.

The booklet started as the brainchild of the association's mold task force, which recommended at the end of 2002 that the association duplicate, nearly verbatim, California's environmental hazards booklet. The task force also recommended legislation that would make using the booklet mandatory, as it is in California. There were no legislative committee members on the mold task force, however, so this recommendation hasn't received much support within their real estate association, according to political affairs assistant Myoung Oh.

However, making the book available on a voluntary basis could lead to an uneven standard of care. "If we put this book on our Web site, there'll be a problem if a handful of licensees use it, but everyone else doesn't," she says.

Meanwhile, the association's legal counsel and Hawaii's Department of Health are reviewing the booklet. The legislative committee will make its recommendation after the review is complete, which is expected before the association's board meeting in October.

(September 26) – The Florida Office of Insurance Regulation has granted Florida’s largest homeowners insurer permission to exclude mold damage coverage from policies. The company, State Farm Insurance, must continue to offer supplemental mold coverage for up to the limit of each homeowner’s policy. Regulators initially refused State Farm’s mold exclusion request, but reversed its decision in September after the insurer appealed to the state division of administrative hearings. The division made a nonbinding recommendation in State Farm’s favor.

State Farm is also asking state regulators for permission to raise homeowners' rates an average of 6.9 percent this year, in the wake of 14 percent and 22.5 percent increases in 2002. The 6.9 percent figure was contingent upon State Farm gaining the mold exclusion.

Should State Farm be allowed to raise its rates, other companies are likely to follow suit, says Gene Adams, vice president of governmental affairs for the Florida Association of REALTORS?. He calls the affordability of homeowners insurance a "growing concern" in a state where coastal homes are particularly vulnerable to hurricane, wind, and water damage. Adams views State Farm's mold exclusion as inevitable, based on the fact that insurers also regularly shift liability or charge extra for new risks. He expects other state insurers to follow suit by making similar requests.

Calling Florida the third largest insurance market in the U.S., Adams says FAR is currently appointing a committee to examine the issue of homeowners insurance affordability in the state. He says the state's insurers typically ask the Office of Insurance Regulation for annual rate increases. This year, Adams says, legislative activity intent on holding rates down is very likely, though he also acknowledges the insurers' need to stay viable.

By Bridget McCrea for REALTOR? Magazine Online

NACHI members get 10% off of everything at www.moldinspector.com by request to Phillip Fry at moldinspector@yahoo.com.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I just LOVE moldinspector.com’s opening salvo about deadly toxic black mold. Looks like an ad out of some old sci-fi magazine, or a poster from some '50’s horror movie.

Oh boy...

I particularly like the information about flesh-eating mold. yep... I should have seen that one coming...

One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Ok, I have a question, are we speaking of doing Mold Tests, or are we speaking of Mold Sampling and letting a Reputable Lab run the test??

I have been making great extra money by taking mold samples and then letting EMSL Labs run the samples and fax me the results. They typically do a 48 incubation test and I get the results back at which time I either add this info to my report, or fax it to the Buyer/Seller, at which point they either have to have mold remediation performed (not by me!) or just spray it Chlorine, and wipe dry - oh yes, they also quite obviously need to remove the moisture.

Fun, eh??

Ron.

Originally Posted By: dplummer

Russell; I’ve been doing mold sampling(tape&air) for quite awhile. It is a valuable service to offer. It can also be profitable. Just like any service you want to offer, EDUCATE & inform yourself with all aspects of this service. Hook up with a reputable lab. In the USA you EMSL, I’ve even used them & I’m from Canada. You’ll find this subject hotly debated among our fellow members. Make your own business decision as to whether it’s right for you. It’s been a good decision for me. All the best! DOUG

Originally Posted By: rwills

Douglas, Do you do any marketing for this service? Ex: RE Agents, Insurance Cos. etc? Thanks!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Hi Robert! In answer to your question- YES. I talk to real estate people,property managers,new home builders& insurance co’s. Mold can be a sensitive subject to talk about with these people. If they have a mold problem or shall I say a concern, they don’t want it publicized. Confidentiality is a must. I don’t have printed literature with my name & mold info on it. I use factual info from the local health dept. & related government authorities. EDUCATE don’t scare people with hype. The only printed advertising I have is a 8 1/2"x5 1/2" "Things To Do Today " pad I have printed with my company name & telephone #. Work with your lawyer & insurance co. to make sure your a$$ is protected. EDUCATE yourself & have fun. Best of luck! DOUG

Originally Posted By: rwills

Doug, Thanks, appreciate the info. Bob W.

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: al

I to do mold sampling as well as home inspection and have been for some years now,and just to let some know,there are condo associations here in south Florida that do not require a home inspection but will not let the buyer go to closing with out a mold clearance.If anyone is looking for my honest opinion just drop me an email with or without your phone number and i will be glad to share all I know.

Al, Just wondering, Is the mold clearance written or verbal? If written, what is the actual wording ? Thanks DOUG

Originally Posted By: al

The results come from the lab and they usually say something like ,no unusual mold condition exist at this time.

Hi AL! The report you get back from the lab is just that a lab report. I’d be careful saying or using it as a mold clearance certificate. That’s why I asked you if your clearance was written or verbal. I don’t know of anyone in Canada offering a written clearance. I thought that if you did ,I’d be curious in looking at it. Thanks & keep smiling. DOUG