MOLD

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
I hadn't even taken notice of the "Decontamination" part of the quote by Miss Reynolds you pointed out. I was using the bold lettered "dead mold spore" issue to make a point

Be careful what you post, someone may be watching ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rwills

Jeff, Quoted: "I hadn’t even taken notice of the “Decontamination” part of the quote by Miss Reynolds you pointed out. I was using the bold lettered “dead mold spore” issue to make a point " Be careful what you post!

Actually, I have no problem with that statement as the decontamination theory just backs my claim even farther! Since they're doing studies on remediation with controversial methods, I'd watch what I'm telling clients about how to remove it!

Speaking of Remediation, Read page 3 of the new Florida mold registration requirements for "Mold Assessment Consultant" that takes effect July 1,04. http://www.flsenate.gov/data/session/2004/House/bills/analysis/pdf/h1215.br.pdf copied the link from Dave K's post on the other thread: very interesting!
At least one of the rules is you can't do remediation and analysis on the same project!

--
Bob Wills - MAB Chairman
BW Inspection Services
Warminster, Pa.
http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Gary Van Florcke

Unless you remove the mold it does not matter,Be it dead or alive it is just as allergenic either way,not to start another round but if you come to our classes you would understand a little more

Jeff we are not even close to California, but if you are ever in Florida we have a seat in our next class with your name on it. FREE of course,ONCE AGAIN IT PAYS TO BE A NACHI MEMBER

Originally Posted By: jpope

Gary Van Florcke wrote:
Jeff we are not even close to California, but if you are ever in Florida we have a seat in our next class with your name on it. FREE of course,ONCE AGAIN IT PAYS TO BE A NACHI MEMBER

I always welcome the opportunity to learn new things. Especially at a price like that ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Maybe I can use that as a way to write off my trip to Walt Disney World this summer ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpeck

rwills wrote:
Quote:"WHEN do you do your mold inspections?" Actually, whenever I see a moisture condition or smell mold/mildew I do a mold inspection, hopefully you do to!

No. I recommend that, if they have concerns with the new four letter 'mold', that they contact a CIH or MB. I explain, just like you did, that mold is person specific, not everyone is allergic to the same molds and not at the same levels. If they have allergies, or mold concerns, by all means, have the allergies addressed by a professional (a doctor) and the cause of those allergies (the mold, maybe, maybe not) addressed by a professional (a CIH or MB). I SPECIFICALLY WARN THEM about HIs playing around like they are mold professionals, 'certified mold testers', and the like.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Perhaps there are HI’s “playing around like they are mold professionals and the like”. I assure you I am not one of them. Nor do I believe that you must be a CIH to do so. Furthermore, perhaps you should go back and re-read some of the posts here. First, it’s been stated that though some CIH’s that you claim are the only people that should be involved here, although some are trained in mold, most are not, also, most only work in the Industrial field. Second, if a customer requests a sample because their doctor happens to know they are allergic to a certain type of mold. Why shouldn’t it be sampled? You can clean visible mold all day long, but if it’s hidden, you may never know it’s there, of course until this allergic family member moves in! Finally, why don’t you read about the new bill being passed in Florida! aren’t you in Fla? It doesn’t require one to be a CIH to be qualified to assess, or remediate mold! I could go on but got to stop for now! life goes on!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

Originally Posted By: jmorrison

Certified Industrial Hygienists and/or Registered Professional Industrial Hygienists do not take field samples. Technicians take the samples and perform the inspections. The CIH and/or RPIH perform the analysis and interpret the results.

Contractors trained in the remediation process perform the mold removal. CIH's and/or RPIH's do not get their hands dirty performing mold removal.

The Certified Industrial Hygienists and/or the Registered Professional Industrial Hygienists provide training and consultation on mold issues.

Bob you are absolutely right in each of your posts.

--
www.mainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Tom Turner

Jimmy,

Sorry, but in my area and the sub-contractors that I use are indeed Certified Industrial Hygienists and Registered Professional Industrial Hygienists. They do the sampling and inspections as I am doing the Home Inspection. That's what happens in my area.

TomT

rwills wrote:
Finally, why don't you read about the new bill being passed in Florida! aren't you in Fla?

I have been following it, have you?

489.601 Legislative purpose.--
The Legislature finds it necessary in the interest of the public health, safety, and welfare in order to prevent damage to the real and personal property of the residents of this state and to avert economic injury to the residents of this state to regulate individuals and companies that hold themselves out to the public as qualified to perform mold-related activities.

489.602 Scope of act.--Sections 489.601-489.618 apply only to individuals and companies conducting mold assessment and mold remediation for compensation.

Here is the link to the Bill (latest version to date), in case you haven't read it.

http://www.flsenate.gov/data/session/2004/Senate/bills/billtext/pdf/s1350c3.pdf

Here is the link to the earlier version, in case you didn't read it.

http://www.flsenate.gov/data/session/2004/Senate/bills/billtext/pdf/s1350.pdf

In the earlier version, you will note:

(6) QUALIFICATIONS FOR REGISTRATION.--To qualify for registration under this act, an individual must:
- (a) Be at least 18 years of age;
- (b) Be of good moral character;
- (c) Have successfully met the requirements for registration established under this act;
- (d) Meet the eligibility requirements set by:
- - 1. The American Industrial Hygiene Association;
- - 2. The Indoor Air Quality Association;
- - 3. The American Society of Safety Engineers; or
- - 4. An equivalent educational program as determined by the board; and
- (e) If the applicant is a mold assessment company, a mold assessment consultant, or an individual performing mold assessments for a mold assessment company, demonstrate accreditation from a nationally recognized accrediting body or authority, such as the American Industrial Hygiene Association Laboratory Accreditation Program or an equivalent program recognized by the National Cooperation on Laboratory Accreditation as meeting the international standard for competence.

I guess someone thought those CIH were smart enough to do it.

Then, when complaints from Safety Engineers and other professionals started coming in, politics took over and you now have the above "latest" version.

I just don't know why HIs think they are qualified after a 1 hour, 3 hour, 1 day, 3 day, 1 week or even 3 week course.

But, to answer your question, yes, I have been following it, probably more than you, because I've actually read it. It DOES NOT justify HIs doing mold, IN FACT, that is one of the REASONS for this licensing, too many rip off artists (and not just HIs, but does include MANY HIs).

This is a no win situation, you feel one way and I know ( ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ) the other way. You will never convince me and I will never convince you.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jim, Thanks for the support, don’t get much around here! Apparently there are some hungry CIH’s in Indiana because around here there few and far between. They don’t call them INDUSTRIAL hygienests for nothing! I’d be curious to see what they charge for a home assessment?

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

Jerry I am the director of a mold school here in Florida,and have been approached by IAQA and talked about approving my weekend course.But it was I that decided at this time not to get involved. With that being said I guess they thought my little class was sufficient,Oh and yes I am also over 18 and of good moral character.They also say, An equivalent educational program as determined by the board.,Boy if that dont leave it wide open

eusa_boohoo.gif

6) QUALIFICATIONS FOR REGISTRATION.--To qualify for registration under this act, an individual must:
- (a) Be at least 18 years of age;
- (b) Be of good moral character;
- (c) Have successfully met the requirements for registration established under this act;
- (d) Meet the eligibility requirements set by:
- - 1. The American Industrial Hygiene Association;
- - 2. The Indoor Air Quality Association
- - 3. The American Society of Safety Engineers; or
- - 4. An equivalent educational program as determined by the board; and
- (e) If the applicant is a mold assessment company, a mold assessment consultant, or an individual performing mold assessments for a mold assessment company, demonstrate accreditation from a nationally recognized accrediting body or authority, such as the American Industrial Hygiene Association Laboratory Accreditation Program or an equivalent program recognized by the National Cooperation on Laboratory Accreditation as meeting the international standard for competence.

Jeff we will be teaching a Mold class to the Florida Construction Industry licensing Board ,May in Orlando,July in Daytona,August in Tampa and Orlando.These are tenative we are just waiting hotel approval.We are serious if you are

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Ok, now for my $.02 worth!

Jeff, because of all the supposed remediation on what works, and what does not, which cases bleach works on and which does not, etc. this is exactly why a mold sample needs to be taken, sent to a Lab and analysed. At that point, knowing what sort of mold, fungus you're dealing with, gives us the knowledge to pass this information on to the client which allows them to get the proper remediation techniques!!

The State of calif. Dept. of Health is presently promulgating mold testing and remediation of Mold based on EPA suggested guidelines. It will be interesting when this becomes official.

The more education that we can gain, is truly valuable, and certainly desirable, that is why I strongly support any and all Mold Sampling and Testing Schools (Education). I am working with EMSL Labs to give us (NorCal) to give us additional knowledge of how exactly to deal with Mold in the Home!!

Hope that helps?

Ron.

--
The highest compliment my clients can give me, is the referral of their Friends, Family and Business Associates!

NorCal NACHI Chapter Founder and Chairman.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

For thos of you whop are not aware, when a healthcare professional wants a home screened or analyzed for SBS, certified industrial hygenists perform the sampling and analysis. I dont know where Jimmy M is coming from, but I can assure you he is incorrect as to who performs the sampling when there is a healthcare concern.

Hey, Jim... when those infants died in Ohio, which started the black mold histeria, was it a 3-day mold professional who took the samples, and recorded all the conditions, or was the team made up of healthcare professionals, microbioligists, and certified industrial hygenists...

I promised I'd stay out of this one... I'll try again. For those of you who run mold schools, all I can say is that you have a vested interest in selling your services. As such, your opinions are somewhat biased.

In the end, the States and Federal Government will crack down on all of this.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Gary Van Florcke wrote:
Jeff we will be teaching a Mold class to the Florida Construction Industry licensing Board ,May in Orlando,July in Daytona,August in Tampa and Orlando.These are tenative we are just waiting hotel approval.We are serious if you are

TO the CILB?

Or as an approved CILB continuing education course?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

As an approved CILB provider

Jerry P. Greetings from the dark side! Quote:“But, to answer your question, yes, I have been following it, probably more than you”. You’re probably right Jerry, you “probably” follow everything better than I or anyone else could possibly attempt! Forgive me, I forgot you are a legend in your own mind!

At least you got one thing right, well, for the most part! "This is a no win situation, you feel one way and I know ( ) the other way. You will never convince me and I will never convince you". Leave out the "I know" part ![eusa_naughty.gif](upload://nYl3dmRmAIH81yCdH9V96akYnNa.gif) , and you're there!

--
Bob Wills - MAB Chairman
BW Inspection Services
Warminster, Pa.

Quote Joe F.“when those infants died in Ohio, which started the black mold histeria, was it a 3-day mold professional who took the samples, and recorded all the conditions, or was the team made up of healthcare professionals, microbioligists, and certified industrial hygenists…”

Joe, you might add in that this was no homebuyer requesting an environmental sample for their own peace of mind. Thirty children were exposed, nine died, and doctor's had no idea what was causing it. The CDC launched an investigation to find the cause!

--
Bob Wills - MAB Chairman
BW Inspection Services
Warminster, Pa.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

… which, as it turns out, wasn’t black mold…

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."