Mould/Radon Inspections

Good day All!

Is anyone doing mould/Radon inspections in Ontario?

If so what lab are you using.

Thanks

Doug

I know of no one, I expect most are like me not enough knowledge to do them .
Roy sr.

Doug,

On March 18th in Brantford, Jamie from Pro-Lab will be speaking on that very subject.

Nick, Jamie and I have been discussing that very subject and it is my belief at this time we are looking for space here in Canada to set up a lab.

I am sure Jamie and or Nick will have plenty to say regarding this on March 18.

Currently most if not every insurer will not underwrite E&O policies for home inspectors on mould in particular and also possibly radon. I personally see that as huge “personal” risk for those that want to venture into that area.

Next, I certainly believe that although mould and indoor air quality are significant issues, but respectfully they are generally beyond scope and experience of most home inspectors, unless they have in-depth specialized training. Again your inquiry assumes you only have an intertest and would like to consider taking on such extra services.

So with that this is simply more food for thought!

Regards, Claude

Claud:

Thanks for your thoughts- you are right I am considering it. Seem like it could create some $$$$:mrgreen:

Cheers

Doug
</IMG>

Why are the insurance companies’s reluctant to insure mould inspections?

First start with your own home insurance, (does it include mold coverage) than call around and ask if your E&O carrier includes mold coverage. The largest carrier(s) in Canada does not. If inspectors take the Indoor Air Quality training, it may help get the inspector at least thinking about the nature of the work and offer both the pros and cons of venturing into that area.

Additionally, my point being if an inspector can find coverage - hey that’s great. But I personally for sure would not take on the extra risk without E&O coverage, but that’s just me.

Certainly there are some inspectors out there looking for building up their business with offering additional services. I am not against that, but I feel from a business sense it would be foolish not to look into E&O coverage to mitigate personal risk.

I would recommend you read all the posts you can find by this gentleman before you go to far on mould testing . Roy sr
You can also ask him his openion .
I feel from what I have read he is the most knowledgable person I have seen on mould and very easy to understand and comunicate with.

Do a search …Caoimhín P. Connell

Roy, I use Sporometrics lab in Toronto.416-516-1660.www.sporometrics.com
Hope the info helps. Doug

Claude
I din’t understand your reluctance on this issue. All the inspector is doing is taking samples and submitting them to the lab for analysis. At that point I think the liability would be passed to the lab doing the testing. If the inspector is properly trained regarding the collection of samples at the chain of evidence protocal I don’t see the liability at all. The inspector is not offering opinion as to the type or toxicity of the sample he/she is just doing the job of collecting samples. I would think that your point of view would also extend to any issues you find that you refer to a higher authority. If you refer a “possible structural issue” to a structural engineer are you not , at that point, passing the liability to the engineer? You reported what you saw, talked to your client about it, made sure they new the implications of not doing as you recommend and therefore you have done your due diligence. End of issue. If you defer the mold inspection to a third party, the person taking the sample is most likely only trained to do exactally what you yourself can take proper training for. They then submit the samples to the lab for testing. I don’t see a liability issue here at all. It all comes down to education of yourself and that of you educating your client. If you are not educating your clients properly you, in my opinion, are not doing your job as a home inspector.
Larry

I have only been asked once for Radon test in my 15 year home inspection career.

To my knowledge it is a geographical concern. As I understand it Radon tests should not be conducted in winter months because of snow cover which gives elevated indoor readings.

Mould issues are so over hyped. In my opinion mould issues are more relevance to people with auto-immune deficencies, or other compromised medical conditions. Mankind has been living with moulds since he first appeared on earth. You could put one person in a mould contaminated home (all homes contain moulds) and he would show no symptoms, whereas another person would.

Greetings Larry - hey each to their own - I do not disagree, totally. Remember those seeking advice are looking for expertise. If they feel shortchanged - they tend to sue. I do agree it may be shared liability or partially passing the buck to the lab analysis, but if things go sour - which raises the issue of why would an inspector not be named in the typical shot-gun approach taken with most lawsuits - if one did arise.

As Roy suggested - I feel its best left to the “qualified” experts! http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=11195&postcount=11

I’m going into my 6th year in this business and have had two or three requests for radon tests. They came from people immigrating to Alberta. I do not do these tests and know almost nothing about them. So far as I know there are no radon concerns in this area. Is that correct?

What are the geographical areas where this test is warranted?

Regarding Radon
http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/gamma/images/canrad.gif

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/environ/radon_e.html

Here’s a start.
Cheers, Claude

The Canadian Shield areas, but I am sure there are other hot spots too. Just can’t think of any.

Gents:

I thank you for your input.

I am exploring the idea and have committed to taking the necessary training for the mold thing. My preliminary research into the radon thing tells me its everywhere!

I have a suspicion that if raydon and mold testing was marketed properly it could become a very worthwhile enterprise.

We shall see, :roll:
</IMG>

I have offered radon testing for about 2 years now. Its a tough sell in Canada. I still trying to recoupe the orginal cost of the monitor.

That is what I found with IAQ testing. No one wants to pay $400 plus for an inspection.

Have you ever conducted a survey to determine where Radon Gas is most active in Ontario. If not, I can assist.

There are many other specific contaminants found indoors that may also increase the risk of respiratory illness. Among the most significant are ozone (from electronic air cleaners, ozone generators, and home office laser printers), chlorine (from chlorinated tap water and use of laundry bleach), radon (from soil gases) and pesticides (from indoor pest control treatment and from tracking in from outside on shoes).

http://www.on.lung.ca/air_quality/IAPRS_ozone.html

http://www.ccnr.org/uranium_deadliest.html

http://www.toolbase.org/Docs/MainNav/GreenBuilding/3060_radon_mitigation_methods.pdf?TrackID=&CategoryID=1292&DocumentID=3060

http://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/media/news/news_release.cfm?news_release_id=156