Multiple Association Memberships

Originally Posted By: jruddy
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Just checking to see how many NACHI members also belong to other associations.

I'm in the process of visiting the realtors in my area and a few have asked what other associations I belong to. I am in SW Pennsylvania and one realtor specifically mentioned ASHI and told me that the agents are informally told to direct business to ASHI whenever possible.

Is there a major benefit to multiple memberships?

Originally Posted By: bnelson

Joseph,

Your realtor threw out the “A-word” because someone in the that area, or from afar, has done a good job of marketing that organization. He’s been trained to look for that logo or name as a sign of quality, and the other associations be damned. But as Nick has proven, if he’s making referrals based strictly on a logo, he may very well be recommending a blind inspector.

The cold truth is that there is an opportunity to out-market the "A-boys" in your or any area, and make NACHI the new litmus test for inspector approvability. And one of big the reasons I joined NACHI is because Nick and the rest of the board have chosen to make it very, very easy and affordable for an inspector to do that. Hell, you can MAKE money doing it, independant of the money you make on inspections.

Start a revolution, man. NACHI will help.

Brandon

Originally Posted By: jruddy

Thanks for the info Brandon. How are things in Bellingham? That’s a great part of the country - I spent 15 years in Issaquah.

I plan to market to all the realtors in the area - maybe getting mouse pads in front of them will start to break the ice.

Originally Posted By: bnelson

Personally, I think mouse pads would be HUGE. For what it’s worth, between the time you order them and start handing them out, I’d put yourself in front of as many realtors as possible, as many times as possible, so the gift has a bit of meaning and relevance attached to it. Meet and greet is powerful, if you ask me. I’ve had many, many realtors tell me that if I plan to distribute brochures, to just skip the middle man and put them in recycling. I’ve never used them.

As for B-ham, this is truly an incredible and exciting place. The real estate climate aside, it's got to be the best outdoor lover's haven in the world. In less than two minutes, I can be in my kayak or sailboat, on a top-notch 18 hole course, riding technical single track, hiking my dog off leash in the wilderness, wakeboarding, skateboarding, road biking, at a baseball diamond, basketball or tennis court, photographing bald eagles, blah blah blah. Or, I can drive fifteen minutes and be in the heart of downtown B-ham and at Western Washington University. It is truly the epicenter of adventure.

Best of luck with the marketing.