My first inspection continued

Thank you all for helping with my original post involving EIFS. And for help picking software… I’m doing an inspection on the place I’m renting just for practice and I’m taking my state exam soon.

Whilst inspecting the kitchen and plumbing I noticed this picture.

I think there are two problems

1. The supply water looks odd. Honestly I’ve never seen it before and I suspect it is lead at the bottom… the copper is easy to identify.

2. The dishwasher drain is not “high looped”

3. Some areas don’t allow the dishwasher to be connected to the garbage disposal but I think mine does.

My main concern is the lead pipe unless I’m wrong the ALPS stamp is identifying the fixture as lead. We use a water filter anyway but can anyone confirm?

Here is the picture

Just out of curiosity, are you planning on identifying lead components when you perform your home inspections?

well only if it’s obvious… there are no bulges in the pipe but … a magnet doesn’t stick to it…there are no threads and it doesn’t appear to be copper… scratching it and it is shiny and silver, although I am color deficient but not color blind

It looks like brass from my house.

1 Like

flexible.Copper tubing.

1 Like

A magnet will not stick to copper, lead or brass; only steel or “ferrous” materials. The shiny silver means lead according to the article.

I am sure of the copper tubing above but it is the fixture i’m not sure about, it’s very discolored and greyish…

I cannot find anywhere on the net that ALPS means lead.

You can find LF (lead free) on fixtures made after 2014. (LF is a misnomer because they still contain lead).

Scratch it near that marking and take another pic, I would like to see it.

I see lead solder, :grinning:

1 Like

https://gadgillab.berkeley.edu/accelerated-lead-pipe-scale-buildup-alps/

Or you can buy one of these XRF analyzers for around $18k to $50K :beer:

This is the picture of the scratch if you zoom in… it looks more silver from my view but the picture doesn’t look as shiny

Thank you! lol I will likely skip on that… if I don’t see a bulge would be best to not mis-identify it

You scratched before the fixture.

Anyway,
I am very careful about conclusively identifying any hazardous material. I may say it is visually consistent with lead blah blah but then elevate for further analysis.

1 Like

I see copper.

3 Likes

It’s a copper street 90 sweated into the valve. Brass fittings used in plumbing are cast. You will have a very difficult time scratching a casted fitting. Not to mention the color, it’s clearly copper.

The poor soldering job by the plumber allowed the solder to run out of the socket and onto the fitting. This is very common with 50/50 solder. If the house was built before the mid 80’s it’s most likely 50/50 solder.

Copper it is.

1 Like