My trick for building inspection websites that convert visitors into clients.

Inspectors focus on the words they write in their reports and often continue this habit when they build their websites. The images they use on their websites are typically stock photos, and they’re often little more than background or filler between the written words of their text-heavy websites.

However, images are the best and fastest way to convey a message. That’s why the images on your inspection business website should tell a story—the right story about your inspection service.

Think back to the images you have seen in your life that convey a message:

• A pickup truck pulling something heavy—what message does that image convey?
  • Michael Dukakis wearing a helmet in a tank—what message does that image convey?
  • The Marlboro Man—what message does that image convey?

The most memorable movie scenes made by the greatest filmmakers are based on images and little or no dialogue. The best writers and reporters live by the axiom “Show, don’t tell.” You can make the same powerful impact with your website.

Here are some images inspectors should use on their websites:

• The inspector is lying on his back in a crawlspace with his flashlight aiming upward. What message does that image convey?* I look carefully in places that most people don’t.*
  • The inspector is wearing eye protection and gloves while opening an electrical panel. What message does that image convey?* My work is dangerous, but I’m careful.*
  • The inspector is holding an IR camera or a gas leak detector. What message does that image convey?* I bring specialized tools to the inspection.*
  • The inspection report pages are fanned out on a table, and some have annotated color photos. What message does that image convey?* My report is detailed, yet easy to understand.*
  • The inspector is being presented with the Certified Master Inspector® award. What message does that image convey?* I am the best and proud of it.*
  • A wall is shown covered with inspection course Certificates of Completion. What message does that image convey? I value training and Continuing Education.
  • The inspector is standing next to the sign on his dedicated, inspection vehicle wearing a shirt with his business logo. What message does that image convey? I’m a full-time inspector.

Remember: A picture is worth a thousand words.

Try this experiment when you start building your inspection website: Do the entire thing using only images and no text. Imagine that the images you use are chapters in a book, and that each image has to tell part of your story. Don’t use any text at all—just build your entire website using images that convey a series of messages, and together tell a story… your story.

If you can do that, you’re really only one small step away from having an awesome website. Your last step is to add supporting text.

Great image tips, I like the list!

Inspectors may have to invest some time in getting good pictures taken of themselves for their websites.

Indeed, and the pictures aligned with the object the photo was taken of, I see so many pictures on angels-crooked to the object it not funny. Looks unprofessional.

Question. If I use pics from an inspection, do I need a release or permission to use them? I know the answer should be yes, but considering the number of photos that I have seen, hard to imagine that they all had permission

Great ideas!

Great points. I’ll get on it! Thanks, Nick!

No…

You do not need permission, but you shouldn’t use anything that is identifiable such as a PIC with someone’s family pictures or house number in the background.

Juan you are alive :slight_smile:
My take is if you have pictures with personal items or people you are begging to be sued.
Take out identifiable information and keep it generic.

Bob writes:

I agree. You can just Photoshop it out if need be.

This article is in my new marketing book coming out next month.

Agreed, I use pictures on my site, and my sample report, but i’m certain to not use identifying items. My front of house photos, I did ask permission.

Very helpful info especially for those of us just starting out!

Thanks!

Nick,
I’ve hired HomeGauge to build my website. Good timing with your “Show, don’t tell.” axiom and photo suggestions. I’m just getting ready to send photos.

Kate at HG is currently working on it. I’ll have to send her photos using your suggestions. A picture truly is worth a thousand words.[FONT=Arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]When it’s all done, I’d like to get your evaluation.
[/FONT]

Kate builds awesome, professional websites. It is going to be important this year that everyone step it up when it comes to their websites.

HomeGauge has changed up their whole approach to websites and we incorporate a lot of Nicks recommendations in his book as well as using the best website builder out there called WordPress. Unlimited amount of themes, blogs, embed videos, add on features that no one can come close to imitating. Google loves WordPress sites too.

Kate at HomeGauge has a great touch in making websites while adding customized looks and we have just brought on Kristin (our eleventh employee) who also has experience in building sites using WordPress to assist Kate. It may be time to dump the look alike inspector templates that you may have for the latest and the greatest custom sites and stand out from your competition.

If you would like some more info you can email her kate@homegauge.com

Pictures on your website that show or demonstrate your skills as Nick says is so marketable. Video clips in your inspection report …is marketable as well and our HomeGauge users are getting business from it!

I get the release of pictures I take in my inspection agreement.

Holy Mackerel I thought all one need on their web site to make clients fall all over you was just those three magic words Certified Master Inspector. Now don’t tell me you need some pic to go with them. I am in shock:shock:

Charlie, tried that. Large letters on the home page. No help. It is always difficult to get 10,000 InterNACHI home inspector web sites on one Google search page. Most here in KC pay to be on that first page, and the one who pays the most gets top billing.

Oh, I have heard that before.