website info

Originally Posted By: tfoster
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just built my own simple one page web site. What do you all think? Yes, I know it’s cheap and I plan to expand it later. Tim

www.kansashomeinspector.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Don’t take offense:

Retake the picture without your glasses. They look too thick.

Add some live http://www.nachi.org/coollinks.htm

Nick

Originally Posted By: DShelton

Hi Tim,

Frankly, I wouldn’t care about the glasses, but I would take a picture where you look a little more comfortable. If you don’t feel comfortable in a suit and don’t do your business in a suit, then get a picture of yourself in a solid button down shirt, no tie, maybe at a jobsite or in front of a house doing what you do best. You look uncomfortable and like an insurance salesman, which you are not. You are a Home Inspector, be proud of that. Don’t look like an insurance salesman (which no one trusts icon_wink.gif ), but look professional in your attire, but not sloppy either.

As far as your website, it is too busy and hard to follow. Most people don't like a lot of verbiage and will scan and not read. They are looking for particular items that interest them and separating them into pages is helpful and place those on the left hand side where it appears there should be links but there aren't any.

Sell yourself first and you attempt to do that, but the blue box with the prices, pulls you over to that and you lose the reader. Put the prices on another page or at the bottom. Make them read the whole thing to get to the prices if that is your major selling point and having it encased in a blue box makes it appear that is the most important thing, your prices. When in reality, you are the most important thing on the page. You are selling your services, not your prices.

There is too much white space next to your picture then it is too busy on the bottom. Not to be tacky (and I clean up my husband's writing a lot, too ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ) I would clean up the writing, make it a little more professional. Things such as "computer generated", should be "electronically created incorporating clear and concise, color photos...."

The blue box dividers appear to be placed there haphazardly, it is distracting.

I'm not sure if your company name is intentionally lower case. Amerispect co, inc. or if that is a typo. My first impression is it is a typo and the guy can't spell and if he can't spell, then I don't want him. I want a professional. So, if it is intentional, I would rethink that.

Websites are all about perception and how the client perceives you. They are very concerned about having their home inspected and ensuring that everything is covered and uncovered. You want to give them the impression that you know what you are doing, which I'm sure you do, but it is all about perception and impression and you want to give off the most professional impression you can. This is their first impression of you and it is a make or break for you because you don't have their captive attention, they can click to the next guy.

I think you have some good stuff in there, but formatting and presentation are everything. You don't want to appear to just throw it out there, perception is everything. Most HI don't use a brick and mortar location, they work out of their trucks or homes so think of this as your brick and mortar location and a drive by. If the place appears to be well maintained, clean and in a good location, then the person must be doing well and if other's think of him so highly, then I guess I will too. But, if it doesn't look like he is doing well, then there is a perceived problem and I will keep on driving by or clicking on. Hope this makes sense to you and I didn't offend you. I create websites, maintain and host them for a reasonable cost (www.sheltonwebs.com), but I also have a background in marketing, which is what you are doing...you are marketing yourself through a website and not face-to-face, yet . If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Debby Shelton
www.sheltonwebs.com

Originally Posted By: rstephens

I agree I like the simple web site, but there is a lot of reading to do on this page most people are not going to take the time to read all of your site. I do not feel real comfortable in a suite. I agree some people look great in a suit I for one look like CRAP!

Or even CARP. LoL

By the way all you that critiqued my website I completely re-did it so take a look and give me some input, Hey Chris I know there is little CSS on my site but I am still working on this. I will have a picture of my ugly mugg when I find a camera that will not break when taking my picture.

Originally Posted By: mzwerin

Professional Home Inspector"

Typo = spell it: Independent

Your upper artwork is somewhat pixelated...
Helping to protect... & Tri-State are less sharp that should be. Also, the individual page tabs are less than sharp.

Why have a pre-sell inspection. ---
Shouldn't this read: Why use a Pre-Sales inspection?

On the about Us page, the files weblogo.jpg & Sep30117. aren't loading.

The Contact & Schedule pages need titles added.

...just my 2 cents worth.

Originally Posted By: tfoster

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I did plan on the Amerispect in lower case and I will change it to all caps.

I knew that it didn't look right and needed the info. dearly.

I do uses pictures of me on a roof and looking at a furnace in my flyers. I'll lose the picture of me in the tight funeral suit and use those instead. I thought it was a good idea at the time.

I will change some of the text also.
Thanks all
Tim Foster

Thanks Michael , Oops typo I ran spell checker like 3 times I will fix it.

and make the other changes.

Russell,

When clicking on your links of “What is…” and “What is not a Home Inspection” the links don’t work. The picture under About Us isn’t loading and I would put a NACHI logo under the link to NACHI. Logo’s always catch the eye and you can always link to NACHI, using that symbol, too.

On the FAQ's page, not sure what type font size you are using, but it seems rather small. Maybe go up a size or two on the FAQ's page, it is smaller than the other pages; you have room to expand it down and fill up some of the white space.

You have some good stuff on the side bar, but I'm not drawn to click on it and read it. Maybe bold the title headers a bit and possibly place a link to the side bar items on the bottom navigation bar, always good to have one place that contains all the links so that your visitor doesn't miss anything you deem important.

Your Logo title is good, but the statement under it "Your Independent..." is not centered under your Logo. It's off a bit and the font seems a little odd on my screen. I have darn near every font loaded so whatever font you are using comes up on my screen, but it looks like some of the letters are bolded and some aren't. Looks a little odd.

When you place something that says Click Here, you assume it will take you to another page. Put your Click Here's to indicate an email, you might want to say something like email us at and use the click link as the address of your email. I know, a little nitpicky ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) , but that's what I do. My husband calls me anal retentive...don't know why?

Your site looks good, very informative! One other thing, what state are you in? Huntington...? I assume Texas by the reference to the Aggies, and I guess I would want to know if I am contacting someone in my area. When doing a search for a Home Inspector and not searching through NACHI, I'm not sure who I am coming up with or where. And doing a search of Home Inspectors Texas...you will pop up if you have your state mentioned in your site. Sorry, I will quit now....

p.s. What tri-states do you service? tell people that, I can't tell from your site. Many times because we know the info, we assume the next guy does and don't include it. That's why it helps to have someone else look at it. OK- I'm done.

Debby
www.sheltonwebs.com

Thank you Debbie for the info I still have alot to do on the site, I did not center the caption under Tri-state home inspections on purpose. I will check out the font problems and change it I will also add what state I am in Huntington WV.

And change the CLICK Here. And make some changes to the side bar.

All yea thanks for the What is I forgot all about making those pages Ooops you are the first to catch it.

Russell,

A website is an evergreen site…there is always stuff to do! icon_biggrin.gif

Huntington WV, I know where that is. I'm just south of Pittsburgh.

Debby

I agree Debbie I still have a lot to do on the heading it is a template and I am not very good with paint shop or photoshop, I used MS paint for the most part so it does show a lot of pixelation.

You’re doing good Russell, hang in there. If you need some help, just email me.

Debby

Originally Posted By: rray

Hey, Debby.

I'm "living in California but always a Texan." I'm also a former web designer. I got started on the Internet back when it was still the ARPANET. At Texas A&M. Class of 1977. Born in Kingsville. Where are you from?

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Hey Russell!

Born in Houston, raised in Sugar Land…where everything is sweeter!!

Once a Texan...always a Texan! But it is rough in Yankee land here ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Debby