NACHI Chicago Mock Inspection Event

Originally Posted By: wdecker
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The Chicagoland Chapter of NACHI is offering a practice inspection event for newly licensed Illinois inspectors (and any veteran inspectors who think they could benefit from the experience). This event will be held on Sunday, Oct. 30th in the Skokie area. It is open to all licensed Illinois Home Inspectors and will count for 4 NACHI continuing education hours. The cost is $20.00 for Chicago NACHI Chapter members and $40.00 for all others.

In addition, the immediate area of the inspection has many new construction sites, all in various stages of construction, from bare foundations to almost finished 4,500 SF and up new houses. There are also many existing houses that display almost all kinds of current residential construction techniques and items.

The event will consist of an inspection of a real life, occupied house. This house has some known defects and some other ?planted? defects. Participants are required to return an inspection report, in whatever format they currently use, within 48 hours. These reports will be evaluated by a team of senior inspectors. Reports will be critiqued with regards to:

Finding all the known and planted defects.
Compliance with Illinois State and NACHI Standards of Practice
Verbiage used and completeness.

It should be noted that these report critiques will be totally confidential and intended only to help each individual inspector to improve their inspection and reporting skills. The only way to fail is to not participate. Senior inspectors will also be available at the event to answer questions and supervise, but NOT to help with your inspection. Please bring all your own tools.

In addition, NACHI will accept every submitted report and fulfillment with the NACHI membership requirement for a submitted report for NACHI review.

Participation is on a first come, first served basis and this event will be limited to a maximum of 20 inspectors. Those wishing to attend must send in a check, payable to NACHI Chicago to:
Russ Myers
President, NACHI Chicago
2800 N. Pine Grove
Chicago, IL 60657
Along with your name, address, NACHI membership number (if a NACHI member), phone number and e-mail address (if you have one). Checks must be received before Oct. 24th. You will receive a call or e-mail confirming your participation.

Hope to see you there.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: jtroth

How did this event go? How many attended? I liked the idea.

Habitation Investigation LLC

Providing Home Inspections in Ohio

http://www.homeinspectionsinohio.com

Went pretty well:

Originally had 8 people responde, but only 7 showed up. Of those, one didn't quite understand the concept (he was an older inspector who had done it for a long time. Guess he didn't read the posting too clearly.).

Well, these guys crawled all over the place. The caught most of the planted defects (my electrican friend removed the main disconnect) and even crawled the attic (with only an 18" by 24" access hatch).

Then, we waled around the neighborhood and looked at the various new construction. Gave them the chance to go into a newly framed house, look at a newly poured foundation, see the girders right after they are laid and check out a McMansion (5,400 SF with a 320 amp electric meter).

The neighborhood is greatly varied in the styles and constrcution techniques. Like I mentioned, there were many tear downs and 2nd floor adds and additions going on and in various states of completion.

They all told me that they had fun and leaqrned alot. Not bad for $20 bucks (all going to the Chicago Chapter coffers).

Anyone have any other Chapter fund raising ideas?

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076

Originally Posted By: jtroth

I am surprised that more people did not attend.

Habitation Investigation LLC

Providing Home Inspections in Ohio

http://www.homeinspectionsinohio.com

We advertised it, but then delayed in the execution.

Totally my fault.

Will do better next time.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076

Originally Posted By: rlind

Will,

Great concept, and a wonderful training excercise.
Please advertise when the next mock inspection will be held.
I'll hope to attend it next time.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

Any time. I have use of the property with very little notice. The construction going on around the area is just plain great. All kinds of styles and most of the contraactors have given me full access (just so I promise to not inspect them! ![eusa_dance.gif](upload://s9dv24YwSSRLNpgOOSxL1BkwUQ9.gif) ).

Call, any time.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076

Originally Posted By: aleleika

Great Job Will. This was an excellent idea you had and you came thru! eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

A. Dan Leleika

www.a-teamhomeinspections.com

The only problem is that one of the particapents posted pictures of sopme of the house’s problems on this site. Wasn’t supposed to do that.

No harm, no foul.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076