NACHI Continuing Education Increased

There are so many resources available, many untapped, for members to attend training programs at no cost to them. Chapter participation is key, I think.

I am not taking away anything from those in the education business who have wares to sell, as well. The more opportunities to learn, the better off we all are, but no member of NACHI can or should use “expense” as a reason to fall short of the annual quota.

I’ll pass your desire for a seminar on to Bob and Helen, Frank. You can work all the details out with them. You won’t be disappointed.

This annoncement also came as a surprise to me. Education falls under Professional Development, and I have seen no discussions on this in any Education Committee forum.

Cant say whether it’s real or not, or the reasoning for it. I have also heard that ASHI is rolling out a new SOP, which I find more interesting than increasing CEU requirements by 6 hours.

I have a meeting tomarrow that starts at 1pm with Joe Ferry speaking till around 4:30-5 p. then a dinner bufet after that we are having John Pilger giving a talk on Chimneys and Flues for a while and all for $40.00 for nachi members. I don’t think that’s a bad deal!!! By the way they also get 6 CEC’s for the day.
As far as jumping to 30hrs I think the members should have been asked there opinion before hand. Just my opinion !!!
:roll:

Perhaps the announcement was premature. Judging by Joe and Blaine’s posts, there is more coordinating to be done between those in leadership positions.

CE for chapter meetings are limited to 8 hours per year???
And those of us out in the wilderness and trying to get a chapter organized, CE are also more $$$ - so for us online from NACHI would help (not sure if we have a limit per year of online training from NACHI).

My 2 pennies worth. :roll:

Hi Joe,

The new ASHI SOP just combined the COE with the SOP. That is the only change. That way anyone that says they comply with the ASHI SOP must also comply with the COE. The purpose for the change is so that non-ASHI members stop saying that they comply to ASHI’s SOP.

I tend to agree with Dale somewhat, and respect everyones views on this subject, but enough is enough. Where do we draw the line?

I joined this Association a few years ago, and mean few, and the best education is hard pressed on you by having to do research on a question asked to help a member of this board. I agree that some might need that much further education to become good HI’s, but that is besides the point.
People don’t realize that if you persue research on a particular topic, it takes time and effort to respond intelligently, and also learning in the process. Does this count for CEU’s? No.

I have been a Commercial Builder for 40 years + and experience knowledge on Code updates, job performance, new technology, methods, means, tools, nohow, and technology changes on a daily basis. Does this count? No

What one fails to realize is that taking accredited CEU’s from Vendors that qualify for 1 hour could take up to 2- 3 hours to complete. Taking into account that attending a Chapter Meeting that awards you 8 hours of accreditation, is also a time and money issue for some.

Here in Maine which is a big and long State, cost me $275 to attend a meeting in Portland and $150 to the previous one.
So, realizing that it takes 2-3 hours to take an accredited CEU hour, 30 hours of this mandated Continued Education now turns in to actually and conceivably 60 to 90 hours of your time.

Since no man knows everything, but willing to help the one’s that are struggling, I can not see in my mind where such mandated conclusions could have been made to increase the amount of CE’s required.

Their are only so many pieces to a House. If we are forced to be HI’s, but be knowledgeable to the extent needed by this requirement, you might as well increase the education level one more step, and we will all be Commercial, Industrial, and Environmental Inspectors.

Being a Working Superintendant for so many years and still am, I can not see the advantage points and attributes of this increase of learning hours at the moment.
Dale is correct in saying, that to spend this much time in the furthered education requirement is now taking away from financials that are required to put food on the table, but on the same token, be a reliant provider to the Public on Home Inspections.

If the Education Committee feels that this increase is necessary to validate the Experience and Capacities of existing members, then maybe they need to look at the Entrance Requirements, for I did not think it was that hard, or hard enough. MHO.

Let us focus more on what should be enacted to provide the best NACHI Inspectors out there. Let them gain the Experience before they join.
We have out there now, that I can conceivably noticed, a lot of people that have joined the Association with many years of Experience in the Construction Industry as I have. Why force so much more of their time in furthered Educational Requirements. Take advantage of their Experience by counting some of these hours we spend in trying to help younger or newer recipients on our BB.

Without checking on my continued education hours, I believe that I am in about 150 hrs ±, and love it. Never to old to learn.

Personally, I do not have a problem with the 30 hours, but feel that it is not equally acceptable to the rest of the Family.

I probably, said enough, since not everyone in on the same page.

Thanks for reading.

Marcel :frowning:

</IMG></IMG>

It has been my NACHI experience that little is coordinated among those in leadership - it is simply announced without regard to planning or proper channels. Then it is revised or retracted when Joe F gets upset.

I believe this announcement is taking everyone by surprise, including the Education Committee.

I’m sure there must be good reasons for this change.

**I’m going to break my silence to say that this seems to be very unevenly balanced. **

**The education requirements are being touted as one of the more stringent requirements of NACHI. It seems unusual that the ones who most likely need it the most are being exempted from Continuing Education for the first year. **

This is completely backwards in my opinion, and seems to be geared to making it as easy as possible to join NACHI, especially when you realize how few will remain home inspectors.

**So, many come in, pass the test (no it isn’t that hard), and don’t have to do much of anything for the first year. Although I didn’t realize that at first so did my CEU’s anyway. **

**I’m just being honest. I really don’t want to alienate Nick or anyone else, I just want NACHI to be bigger and better, the right way. **

**Requirements **

NACHI’s Continuing Education requirements are very straightforward. Members must complete 24 hours of continuing education per calendar year, the attendance of which must be verifiable (all member’s continuing education accomplishments need to be uploaded to the members-only education log). Two exceptions exist and are as follows.
**Exceptions :shock: **

*]**New Member Exception : New members need not complete any continuing education in the first calendar year they join NACHI. Example: A new member who joins NACHI in July of 2005 need only complete 24 hours of continuing education by December 31, 2006.:shock: **

Quote:
For several years our Chapter Vice President MarcusHutnick has taught a Home Inspectors course at a local college.

Our last 3-hour Chapter meeting was based on Electrical Bonding / Grounding. It was good for 3-CEUs.

Maybe you can contact a local college to see if you can get one of their educators to come to your meetings and do the same

End Quote:

Your Chapter meetings are not restricted to ONE hour. You can have Educational seminars/ meetings ranging from one to 8-hours or more on any subject you chose. Electrical, plumbing, HVAC, roofing, structural, etc.

We have a minimum of a 3-hour meeting once a month. We have chosen to make these meetings educational and not just “social”.

We are lucky in the fact that we have more than one bona fide educator in our State Chapter.
We have a 8-hour seminar in early October and a three hour seminar at the end of October.

I am sure that you can find some qualified people in your local State colleges or maybe even in your own Chapter.

After speaking with Nick yesterday, the announcement was premature. The issue is open for discussion. I have no objections to making it as a requirement. I was simply taken back by it.

At the present time, Jan 1st changes nothing. The issue is being discussed by the education committee at the present time.

More to come.

That is good news. I hope the education committee will discuss the scope, quality and repetition of the education, as well as the number of hours. The goal is to be better educated, no just to log hours to meet the number!