NACHI to remove some members from our websites.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

NACHI is sending out letters to members in several states that require E&O insurance to perform home inspections. The letter will ask you to acknowledge that you carry E&O insurance ONLY IF YOUR STATE REQUIRES IT. If you do not have E&O insurance IN A STATE THAT REQUIRES IT, you will be made invisible to the public on our sites including www.findaninspector.us You will still be a member, but invisible to the public.

If you don't have E&O insurance in a state that DOESN'T require it... simply disregard.

You need not worry about this if you are in most states (most states do not require E&O insurance). This is only for members in those states that require insurance to perform home inspections.

If you are unsure if your state requires you to carry E&O insurance, visit: http://www.nachi.org/eorequirements.htm

No one is being kicked out of NACHI so don't start freaking out on me.

And of course, new inspectors should not purchase E&O insurance until just before they perform their first fee-paid inspection. No sense in paying on a premium you are not using.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Good move. Of course, members who perform inspections in states which require E&O, and do not have it, are in violation of the NACHI COE.

This is a certainty. Our COE spells it out for all to see. NACHI members agree to abide by the COE. Pure and simple.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

We’re also trying to clean up www.findaninspector.us This has become the home buying public’s most popular site for finding certified inspectors. We want every inspector on it to be both willing and able to provide inspection services sought.

Members still "thinking about" going into the business who are not ready to accept inspection work will be invisible now.

This doesn't hurt any of our members.

It helps us all by making www.findaninspector.us full of only ready-to-go members.

Most states do not require E&O and so it doesn't effect most members.

NACHI does not require E&O insurance unless your state does.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Congratulations Nick.

This is a huge step forward in demonstrating NACHI's Commitment to the Consumer and dedication to the Home Inspection Industry.

http://www.nachi.org/elite.htm

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jremas

Thanks to the Staff for improving the professionalism of this organization. Now if we can get some work done on the suggestion that I emailed to our President. I’m sure it may happen in time. One step at a time right guys & gals?

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jpope

eusa_clap.gif

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jremas

What is the timeline for immediate removal from the public searches and the mailing and return date deadline for the E&O issue?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Looks like the Jeffs have a quarum and are happy. Right Mr. Pope?

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

The secret purpose is not to check their E&O insurance policy…Most inspectors need not carry E&O insurance and members are not required to by NACHI. The purpose of the letter is to confirm our suspicions that some members are not actively engaged in the business. The goal is to make sure that when consumers go to www.findaninspector.us their search results solely in members actively in the business of providing the inspection services sought.

It has little to do with E&O insurance. But it is easy for us to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I've already been calling PA members to see if they still want on our public search sites. Many in PA only became members because Vocational Rehab in PA paid for their membership and the Community Colleges in PA offered college credit.

If any member is not really seeking business, please let me know so that our members who are seeking business aren't diluted on www.findaninspector.us with your contact info.

Nick

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I wasn’t aware that so many States didn’t require E&O.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

As Joe F said:

In those few states that require E&O insurance, an uninsured inspector should not be advertising his services to the public anyway. We have extra responsibility because of the overwhelming popularity of www.findaninspector.us with the general public/consumers.

You're right David, this only effects a few states.

Nick

http://www.nachi.org/eorequirements.htm

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

Nick

Would it not be appropriate to let them know that if they fail to respond they are susseptible to removal as well ? This was just a thought since I don't know how the letter is worded .

Originally Posted By: jpope

I have, myself, tried to contact NACHI listed inspectors that apparently were not in business and/or not actively inspecting.

I imagine it could be quite frustrating to a potential client calling for services.

Taking off these listings will be beneficial to everyone (IMHO) and help protect the integrity of this organization.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: lschmid

Nick, keep up the good work. Anything you can do to help make the NACHI name more professional, go for it.

Larry Schmid

First Choice Home Inspection,Inc.

South Carolina Chapter President

www.1stchoicehomeinspection.com

A SAFE HOME IS A HAPPY HOME

Originally Posted By: pdacey

What about verifying if a member has a license in a state that requires it? I know one of the people who pops up for San Antonio on findaninspector.us does not have a license to be an HI in TX. I know he’s working on it, but doesn’t have it yet.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Outside of Texas… No.

Texas cooperated with us on NACHI.org and www.findaninspector.us to add TREC numbers to every member's contact info. If other states wish to supply us this data on a continual basis we will offer them the same accommodation but we're not going to do it for them.

Many inspectors join NACHI BEFORE they actually get licensed. This is especially true where licensing is initially going into effect.

Nick