NACHI vs ASHI

Originally Posted By: martin pasquinelli
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello - I am researching the difference between NACHI and ASHI membership. Although ASHI gets the headlines, I’m not crazy about their branding rhetoric. Can some of the members give me some feedback on the experience with NACHI. I like the web site and the info provided. Thanks in advance.

Martin Pasquinelli

Structure & Site Inspection Services

www.inspectionconsultant.com

Originally Posted By: jpope

In a nutshell, NACHI promotes its inspectors. ASHI promotes ASHI.

Since I joined, in July of 2003, NACHI has given me more than 40 additional inspections. I receive 3 or 4 calls a month from FindAnInspector.

The benefits of this organization are huge.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Jeff is right. ASHI is promoting ASHI. ASHI is no longer the ‘ultimate’ association. ASHI is now “advertising” and now goes in my “advertising” budget. In fact, it is the only thing in my “advertising” budget.

I have been an ASHI member since 1990. Would I join again as a new inspector? Probably not. A lot has changed in the last 15 years, and there are more, and possibly better, choices around now. NACHI possibly being one of them.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Thank you for the feedback. NACHI appears to be very web savy which I appreciate. Does the association with NACHI stand equally with an ASHI association amoung clients and agents?

Martin Pasquinelli

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

If you do really good work (keep up with continuing education) and do really good marketing (mostly internet marketing)… you don’t have to belong to any association to get clients to hire you and REALTORs to refer you. And that comment is coming from me, the Executive Director of the world’s largest home inspections association. If you do one or the other it is difficult to succeed. Success = Good Service X Strong Marketing.

Although more and more, the clients are veering away from REALTOR recommendations and going online for every thing. The internet isn't just the future of the home inspection business... it's now. Mortgage companies are already there. Five factors account for this trend:

1. REALTORs afraid of negligent referral suits are keeping an arms-length distance from inspectors.

2. Consumers distrust of REALTOR referred inspectors.

3. Licensing and licensed lists replacing trade association lists.

4. Popularity of research being done by consumers online.

5. NACHI.

This is why NACHI is... as you say... "very web savy." The future is now.

Nick

Originally Posted By: dvalley

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

David…how the hell do you do that…too cool! icon_cool.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

hi to all,

Martin, the fact that you can post your questions and get answers at all, should tell you alot about our organization, please feel free to do the same on the other associations sites ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

most of who we are and what we do is here in plain site, and wherever possible free of charge, or at least with no margin to members.

Sure there is one organization with more members in North America than us, but we tripled in size in the last 18 months or so, how do you think they faired ??

As Nick said association is somewhat unimportant (most agents don't care) clients want a professional educated inspector.. what you need is the important bit, like the best internet marketing and educational support.

That's what we are all about.

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Okay - I’m impressed! Thank you for the feedback. I’m taking my test this week.

Martin Pasquinelli

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I can’t stress continuing education enough. Marketing is a catalyst. If you are a strong inspector… marketing will help your business and let more consumers enjoy the benefits of your services. If you are a weak inspector… marketing will work to help everyone find out how horrible you are… and destroy your business.

Again: Success = Good Service X Strong Marketing.

Poor Service provided by an uneducated inspector is best left un-marketed.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jmertins

Get out…do good work, and tell the world about it!!!

Keep fighting the good fight...Go NACHI!!!!

John

--
John Mertins

Baxter Home Inspections, Inc.

"Greatness courts failure"

Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy

Originally Posted By: Chris Butler

To everyone,

Nick mentions the following:

Five factors account for this trend:
1. Realtors afraid of negligent referral suits are keeping an arms-length distance from inspectors.

With FREA, ALLEN and BRP we all have the agent referral indemnity protecting the agent/broker, lender, banker - whomever refers you in the industry to the Home Owner. I am not sure about Target.
One more reason to have E&O.
And with the NACHI discount for E&O from FREA, what a great way to protect your business and get more referrals from agents/brokers, lenders, etc.
Remember that you need to have more than 175 inspections to qualify for the level A,B or C coverage with FREA that offers the NACHI discount.
The candidate level is not discounted.
Also as it has come up 4-5 times in the last 2 weeks, you need to go to a Home Inspection school and provide to us a copy of a certificate that you completed the introductory 2 week course to Home Inspection that the school offers (sometimes shorter, sometimes longer - depending on the school), otherwise we cannot underwrite you. The test that NACHI offers is not something that replaces this carrier requirement.
Sincerely,

--
Chris Butler
(former) Director of Membership @ FREA

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Chris Butler wrote:
The candidate level is not discounted.
Also as it has come up 4-5 times in the last 2 weeks, you need to go to a Home Inspection school and provide to us a copy of a certificate that you completed the introductory 2 week course to Home Inspection that the school offers (sometimes shorter, sometimes longer - depending on the school), otherwise we cannot underwrite you.
Sincerely,

How does someone find out which courses you find acceptable, and secondly I teach a 144 hour Home inspection course at my local community college, how would I go about getting that approved by you ??

Chris Butler wrote:
The test that NACHI offers is not something that replaces this carrier requirement.

Is their any test that would replace the education requirement for example, NHIE, NAHI's CRI or potentially any higher levels of testing that Nachi were to come up with ??

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Jerry,

in regards to qualified schools. There is no magic list. Most reputable schools will provide to the new HI a completion of certification for the course. That is what we require. Remember in the application it states in ours (and everyone else’s for that matter have the following to some degree) “all the information that I have provided is factual and failure to do so or falsify any information is grounds for immediate dismissal and cancellation of insurance and no coverage will be provided for any inspections completed.”

As for question number 2:
there is no test that can replace the school requirement. Nor will there be one. At FREA, this is a small requirement to get into a very litigious industry... At other companies they require that you have construction experience, belong to a trade organization, go to a school, etc. Some require one, some require all.

Do your homework, as not all companies are alike. And not all companies have the same policies and coverages.
And after you have come to the conclusion on whom to go with (as you are all independent business owners able to make the best decision for your business); call me for an application.
Sincerely,

--
Chris Butler

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Dear Mr. Burkeson,

we are NOT talking about ASHI approved schools (ie. ITA). In fact, we actually accept any school that has a certificate program. AHIT, TWI, Inspection Depot, Hondross College, Allstate Home Inspections, ITA, every Franchise group and their internal schools, etc., etc., etc.

Hope this clarifies the approved school issue.

Remember, we were not on ASHI’s good side for quite a long time before I came along, so why would we have accepted only ASHI approved schools back then…???

Like I said, I hope this puts to rest any issues regarding schools.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler