Nail line showing and Flashing inconsistent

This was a new roof that was put on recently by the sellers. I am the buyers inspector. I was planning on writing this up as nail line showing on roof creating unequal coverage. Flashing is done inconsistently and may not be properly flashed.
What are your thoughts?

Course alignment problem.

What the heck is that?

1 Like

Total amateur roofing job needs evaluation by a professional roofing contractor.

8 Likes

That is flashing that is over the top of the shingles. And right beside that is flashing under the shingles.

I see minor installation defects.
Write them up and move on.

Why would you consider these minor?
My concern is that they ran the flashing under the shingles rather than between. There was no access to the attic for that portion of the home. I know sometimes the flashing has shingles on it for aesthetics. But because of the inconsistency I am unsure.

2 Likes

That’s no joke. What a mess.

What’s with the corrugated tubing??? Did they put a big box store downspout extension on the roof???
In a situation like this, you may want to include the words “independent” and / or “compitent” when noting further evaluation. Just saying…

5 Likes

The corrugated piece is just sitting on the roof. I was planning to put in my report that it should be in the gutter rather than just sitting it on the roof.

Good help is hard to find these days. And this is a perfect example.

4 Likes

I’m guessing this is a very literal statement… as in, Mr. Homeowner/Seller put on the roof himself. I agree with the others that it’s a poor job. I’ll often write up things like this as, “likely void any manufacturers warranty that would otherwise apply” and it gets me out of the crossfire between buyer and seller. If it becomes a point of contention I’ll advise my buyers to have Mr. Seller/Roofer call the manufacturer’s rep to check for warranty coverage. The good news for the rep is he only needs to slow down to about 25MPH as he drives by.

3 Likes

Morning, Christopher.
This is my opinion remember.

Image #2. The last course. The exposed fasteners is no real concern. How the installer cut the last course is rough. Typically, the last course go under apron or headwall flashing. At least the install cut back the siding to install flashing and for siding to roof deck clearance.
Can water enter. I suspect not. The apron/headwall flashing is under the siding and there is good clearance.
Image #3. Poor siding sidewall clearance. Added unknown flashing. That would get a failing grade.
Image #1. Exposure orientation. Course correction.
Looks like an easy repairs if that’s all there is, but repairs are required.

Recommend a licensed roofing contractor repair areas of concern.

Here are poorly installed shingle. These shingles were recently installed.

2 Likes

So many things wrong. The guys above noted them. That is just terrible to have work done in that manner.

2 Likes

appears, to have been installed over existing shingles, and by the look of it architectural shingles. there could be more then just the layers of shingles on there.

Yes the flashing is completely wrong, roof would not be covered by warranty by the way they were installed. Unless they want to start out paying $6,000 to $10,000 to have the roof done properly, then they should get the roofer invoice from the roof and have them fix it.

But I can guarantee the HO did it them selves or had a family member do it.
I was a roofer from 1993 till 2009.

1 Like

In your opinion … “Improper and inadequate. Recommend evaluation and repair by licensed and competent roofing contractor”

Say it and keep moving, how it gets fixed OR not is up to someone else - NOT you

1 Like

Thank you all for the information. This has been extremely helpful.

2 Likes