Need a little help please!

Does anybody know when (what year) bollards were required to be placed in residential garages to protect gas appliances?

I know in IRC since 2009.

Would you recommend it in a 50 year old house, even if they were not part of some “requirement”?

1 Like

I would, yes, for enhanced safety. Whether they did anything about it would then be up to them. But, my arse would be covered.

1 Like

Larry, that’s cheating! I was asking the OP :smiley:

1 Like

That is how some look at it…Oh, well, I’ll try to watch myself, in the future… :grin:

M1307.3.1 Protection from impact. Appliances located in
a garage or carport shall be protected from impact by automobiles.

That’s from the 2000 IRC. Also 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2018 Don’t believe I still have an older copy. None of the IRC’s use the term ‘bollard’ but that is what is now used. Where that term originated I do not know.

2 Likes

The origin appears to be nautical. “…a short, thick post on the deck of a ship or on a wharf, to which a ship’s rope may be secured.”

1 Like

BOCA NATIONAL MECHANICAL CODE/1993

M-406.3 Motor vehicle areas: Appliances located in motor
vehicle areas shall be installed in accordance with Sections
M-406.3.1 through M-406.3.3.

Very wordy but essentially the same thing.

“Code Requirement” should be of no concern to you.

As Larry points out, the gas lines are a hazard when not protected. If they are likely to get hit by a vehicle, make the recommendation.

Hell, drivers run into buildings all the time, you can’t expect them to not hit stuff in a garage! :wink:

David, so you agree with me :sunglasses: