Need Advice for www.adamshomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Todd Adams
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello Everybody!

As a new member and new business owner, I felt it was necessary to have a website. Please see what I have done so far (without any formal website training). I know it's pretty plain and I would love suggestions.

Thanks,
Todd

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Where’s Igor when you need him?

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: psabados

John…John…John!!!

ROLOF ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Paul

Originally Posted By: nlewis

John,

Be nice to Igor. After all, you stole the name of your company from him. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Neal

Originally Posted By: psabados

Todd

Your graphics are not down loading! Im not big on posting prices and you don't need all that home inspection points when your linking to the SOP. Tell them why they need you as their inspector and what you can do to help them with their decission.

Dont be shy, put your picture on the site. Make them call you, then you can put on your speil.

My first attempt was a bust. Working on the next one, taking more time in an attempt to make it interesting.

Paul

Originally Posted By: Todd Adams

Thanks Paul for the tips. The only type of graphics I have on the site is the NACHI logo. It would be nice to have a general picture of a house on there, but I’m not sure what I should use without getting into copywright problems.

Originally Posted By: tadams

Chris,

Do you have some pointers for me?

Thanks,
Todd

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Neal,

I don't like the name. My wife thought of it and I didn't want to hurt her feelings so I went along with it. I wanted a name that fit my personality. My first choice would have been -

AAAsshole Inspections ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Todd,

Your site is certainly very simple, but there's nothing wrong with that. By keeping it simple, you've avoided many of the blunders that people make when they make their own website. Nonetheless, there are a few suggestions I would make:

1. Lose FrontPage. I can't stress this point enough. Websites designed in FrontPage are only called websites for the lack of a better term. Your site's code is almost 15x the size it could be, were it not for FrontPage. Though on such a small page, it's not much of an issue (your 15k of code = approx 3 second load time), your site could be loading in less than a second and look identical. People love fast sites.
  2. Lost FrontPage. Beyond the fact that your site loads much slower due to FrontPage, it also doesn't look right in other (even modern) browsers. When Paul said "Your graphics are not down loading," it was probably because he wasn't looking at your site with internet explorer.
  3. Rather than linking to What Really Matters and Pre-Listing Inspections, copy the text to your site. Your just tossing your customers away by pointing them to NACHI's site.
  4. Create a separate prices page. You want to sell yourself before you talk about cost.
  5. Create your own navigation bar (rather than copying the code directly from nachi.org). The code works on nachi.org because it calls on CSS selectors that aren't on your site. You can use the same colors, but build it on your own and it'll work and look better.
  6. Rather than linking to FindAnInspector.US as proof of certifications (and possibly losing your lead to someone else), why don't you link to http://www.nachi.org/memberlist/featured/adams.html ? This trick works for everyone: "http://www.nachi.org/memberlist/featured/" followed by your last name & ".html" will link to a page that shows everyone with your last name. People don't know that everyone at findaninspector.us is NACHI certified, but they will know that anyone on nachi.org is.
  7. Scrolling marquees just distract people. It's aggravating to wait for something to scroll by when you're trying to read it.

That's about it for now. I like the simplicity of your site. If you clean it up a little, it'll work fine.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://7CoFv1Jvo9yNcAz93fqCmGgEOFi.html)

Originally Posted By: tadams

Great Advice. Thanks Chris!