Need definition of word.

Originally Posted By: rmeyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

" has a nice sound to it, all inclusive, and PC!!

Marcel, (Just for trivial enlightenment) Horse is in fact a building term used in stair construction which refers to the 2" piece of stock lumber (usually 3 of them) with the tread and riser sections cut out. The treads and risers boards are then nailed or screwed to the stair horses for support.

Stringer is often used interchangeably with horse but the stringer is actually the side boards between the horse and wall, or the finish board on the exposed side of a stair horse.

Horses are generally easier to build in the field and probably the most common stair system you will see today. Very old houses and some shop manufactured stairs you might see may have the treads and risers morticed into the stringers.

And then of course there are always "saw horses" which carpenters and kids can put to good use.

Drift??? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Russ

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

how about we all committ to calling it a “pony-with-a-cripple-knee wall”. covers all the bases and sound sooooooo smart. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: lewens

Geez

“Cripple knee pony wall” Sounds like a hurtin’ horse leaning on a fence built for the purpose of taking the weight off the horses crippled knee. My grandfather used to call them knee walls. Told me if it was knee height it was a knee wall. Hey I’m just passing on information.

Marcel,

The colonoscopy itself is not the hard part. It’s the absolutely vile tasting crud they make you drink the day before. Get ready to gag my friend, and be a good boy and drink it all up. I just went through the procedure and it was a walk.

Larry

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

When I get asked to provide a “second” engineering opinion I make sure to tell the asking party…

"If you ask 5 engineers, you will get 10 opinions."

My wife can attest to the accuracy of that statement.

As for the term ?cripple knee pony wall,? I like it! However, it?s too long. It sounds like a ?limping horse wall.? In the field it will be shortened to ?lame horse wall.? But this is also too long and will be shortened even more to ?lame wall.? I suggest we save time and just use the term ?lame wall.?

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

I think I have it now;

Since the horse was already part of the stair part, it was to lame to hold up the wall, so the wall was shortened in height so the Pony could handle it, but found out the Pony was crippled and had to put a knee to support it.

Hence; The crippled knee pony wall was born to compensate for the lame horse.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Ok guys enough is enough,

It has got to the point you are just flogging a crippled pony. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

BTW, I think the correct answer in this application is a Pony wall, due to it being sat on the foundation.

Regards

Gerry

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Around here we use pony or cripple wall when refering to bringing the wall up to sill plate height.These would be set on top of a “short wall” which is the actual poured foundation wall. Four foot poured foundation wall is generally refered to as short wall.

A knee wall is often indicated in building plans as a wall that is shorter than a stud wall and is commonly found in attic areas in place of purlands.

Crippled pony wall is pretty funny ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) Stop beating a dead horse ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

This is one of those threads that could go on for ever.

Larry

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

…and ever…

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

phinsperger wrote:
...and ever...

stop horse' in around

Originally Posted By: wdecker

We all just have to pont up.

I still like 'differently abled wall'.

But that's just me.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

how about “veticaly chalanged” (like me) or “hight defficient”… maybe “under-tall” or "“over-shortend”. i remember an old french carpenter telling me…“I cut it 3 times and it’s still too short” icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: whandley

If you live in California, you’ll be very familiar with cripple walls. It’s part of the California disclosure questionaire filled out by every seller during a residential real estate transaction. Cripple walls are indeed load bearing structural framing below the finish floor system. Cripple wall systems of greater height are referred to as “tall walls” and are also in the questionaire. Pony walls are interior half walls above the finish floor/slab system and of course, not loaded. icon_idea.gif

"I travel the globe to protect my clients!"

Progressive Inspection Service
California Home Inspectors
Orange County Home Inspectors
www.progressiveinspection.com
(949) 499-8054 Orange/Los Angeles Counties
(760) 943-7552 San Diego/Riverside Counties

HUD/FHA Inspector ID #I078

Originally Posted By: mcyr

That is because the pony is crippled and you will need a knee to help him out. ha. ha.

Didn't someone just say that this could go on for ever. I think, I am having a lame horse cramp over this topic. ha. ha.

Marcel

Marcel

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

wdecker wrote:

But that's just me.

In the light of the current political correctness that abounds on this board, I am forced to agree with Will.

Regards,

Gerry

wdecker wrote:

But that's just me.

Or due to it's diminutive stature,
'indifferently abled wall'
Larry

Originally Posted By: bjones1

that dang crippled pony just kneed my wall icon_lol.gif