New Construction Slab

What are your thoughts on this portion of the slab.

It’s a skim coat the builder has applied to conceal some form of possible defect.

4 Likes

Any photos from further away? Most times when paint or parge coat is applied near the ground some irregularities will occur. Was this coating applied to all of the foundation or just one select location?

2 Likes

It was applied to all visible portions of the slab. I just noticed this area that was somewhat covered with mulch. I don’t have another photo of this area.

1 Like

Not really much to see in your first photo other than the parge coat is delaminated or not adhered, probably because the concrete was dirty. As far as a slab defect, crack or damage; your visibility is too limited. Not something that would hit my radar screen without other indicators of something bad going on.

(note: sometimes there will be a pipe or conduit lacking concrete cover along the outer perimeter. Builders will often apply a parge coat over this to keep bugs or moisture out. Still not an issue in most cases)

1 Like

That’s all I see…

Is it an SOG foundation? The 2nd picture shows a pretty tall face. Where are you located?

It is, I’m in South Carolina

More importantly to begin with are what are your thoughts on that portion of the slab?

2 Likes

I was just curious how others would call it out. I should have taken a photo with better lighting but there is a small void a couple of inches below where the parge coat begins.

This little thing? It’s nothing…IMO…maybe a small stone fell out?

3 Likes

If you blow up the pic, it appears that there is ground debris that the parge was coated over. Also, a small settlement crack at the right corner, but nothing I see as far as throwing in red flags.

2 Likes

It’s further down, mulch level. It’s not a big deal. I was just curious how or if anyone else puts it in a report. It was covered in mulch and I didn’t want it to scare the buyers once the mulch settled if I didn’t mention it. I’m 200 inspections in and still feeling my way around with some things.

And what do you think of it and why?

1 Like

Yep. Doesnt look like an issue

1 Like

Is this a Post Tension slab? That point at the arrow below has a shape of a PTC live end cable point and the gray coloring is similar to the specialty grout used to seal it off. That might be a PTC live end sticking out there.

Do you have a little farther out image?

No, it’s not a PT. I think I’m good now. Thanks for the comment though.