New Guy Quetions??

Originally Posted By: Steve Thorne
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello everyone i am hooked on this site and will be joining by the end of the month!

I am studying to become an H.I. and have several questions.What are 2 of the most popular reports used out there and why?

What is the current status in NY as far as legislation goes? From what i have read this could kill any and all investment i have made so far this would piss me off beyond belief.

Also how o you keep notes while inspecting sop that you can transpose them to you report

Thanks
STEVE THORNE
Schenectady NY

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Steve,

There are many posts here concerning the in's and out's of the different reporting software that is available. You should try doing a search or just visit the software forum.

I use MS Word but for the novice it would be pretty difficult to obtain professional results. Although, if you are familiar with word you would be more than half way there.

As for cost, word would probably be one of the cheaper options. The novice would most likely be more comfortable with one of the major software titles.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rkulla

I don’t have a leg to stand on as far as proper english, but you may want to use the spell check button at the bottom of the page. icon_wink.gif

There is a ton of information on the message board for you to research for getting your new business up and running. It's a great tool.
Good luck
Rex

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Steve, you can check other inspectors web sites. Often you will see a sample report. I like http://palm-tech.com desktop version. You can download a full trial version. No my friend doesn’t work there… nachi_sarcasm.gif

Good Luck,

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: Al Roden

Steve,

I purchased the Whispersolutions.com report a couple of weeks ago and love it. I didn't need to open an instruction manual and I didn't need tech support even once to get up and running with it - that's what they mean being USER FRIENDLY! It's how software should be. If I have to read an thick book and attend classes on how to operate it, it's trash.

The second thing I liked about it was the Microsoft Word-like feel and operation - I was familiar with it right off the bat. And it found misspelled words as I typed them.

You can clearly see what section of the report you're in and, with the navigation tree (like Windows Explorer), you can instantly move and jump around the report to work on in any order you like.

And commonly used saved phrases or paragraph templates are just a right-click away - you can see them ALL on the screen when you right click. And you can save what you typed as a quick phrase or saved comment just as quickly.

Whisper.com truly is the Cadillac of inspection software that I've tried. I like it MUCH better than the Inspectrix and 3D software demo's that I downloaded.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Al:

Welcome to the board. I love your Avatar. Is Victoria anywhere near our http://www.nachi.org/houstonchapter.htm ?

Nick

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Back on topic:

Steve, there are several in http://www.nachi.org/deals.htm

Nick

Originally Posted By: Al Roden

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the welcome! The Avatar is from an ad I used to run - the caption read: 'If you think your husband is difficult now, wait ?til he finds termites behind his tub'.

Houston is a couple of hours east of Victoria...everything is just about a couple of hours from here - Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, etc.

I'm going to try to get to the next NACHI meeting in houston - it'll give me something to do while the wife shops.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Al,

If your wife is going to be shopping, perhaps you should consider staying home and earning!

I hope you get to go to the chapter meeting. They're good for knowledge, comaraderie, and an all around good time.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: dfrend

I looked at a few. I just started using Reporthost and love it. It is extremely affordable and keeps cost on your inspections down a bit. Now that they added a spellchecker it is even better. And you get 30 free reports. As far as notes, you can print a custom checklist from the site.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com