New inspector, need assistance in identifying panel please

Condo built in 1979, attached unit with one shared wall. The panel had no markings whatsoever on the outside or inside. Being a new inspector, I am hesitant to turn in my report without getting some clarification. I would greatly appreciate any assistance anyone could provide.
Thank you in advance for your time!
Being new, again, I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Is that the only panel for the home? Its pretty small, how big was the home? I am not sure what panel brand that is, but it is older, and may be outdated, in which case I would recommend electrician evaluate.
However, there are a couple defects I notice.
-That main disconnect is backfed, which means it needs to be secured. Doesnt look like it is. So if it were to pop off, it would still be live, and could contact other parts of the panel.
-Second, that 50 amp breaker is oversized for the conductors. Looks like it is for an A/C unit, which is the only time you should see oversized, but this one looks like a 10 gauge on a 50 amp, which would not be typical. I would check the labels on the a/c units to verify.

Thank you so much for the quick response!

Yes sir, it was the only panel. The home is only 1k sqft. I did recommend further evaluation by a licensed electrician as it appears to be very dated.
It was marked A/C, I’ve attached a screenshot of the label.
Yet, another “learning experience” in getting good, clear shots of the labels. I greatly appreciate your time and input. Thank you again!

3 Likes

Sir,
Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate your help!

1 Like

Since you are new and learning… here’s and old thread that shows and explains the type I see most often. (There are many variations that you may see in your area)… Screw driven between breakers.

2 Likes

Yes, that label doesn’t show the relevant info you need. (It is cut off in the photo) It will say max breaker size allowed, along with the minimum sized conductor. But I highly doubt the 50 amp breaker with those sized conductors is correct.

1 Like

Thank you sir!
I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for your time. As a new inspector I think more harm comes from not asking during this learning curve of actually doing the work we’re passionate about. As I’m sure you all remember, being new, everything is spinning. Once you sit down to do the report, there’s the “…ummm.” moment. You realize, I didn’t get a clear shot of this. Where was this? …What is this?

You all have made it so much easier by allowing us to look through the forums and find the answers you have shared with us. (I’ve seen a few heated exchanges here and there, not going to lie…It made it a little more exciting to go through and learn.) Long story short: I appreciate your help and look forward to learning more.
“Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open.”

2 Likes

The panel is most likely a Crouse-Hinds, a lot of them were listed to use ITE, & Bryant circuit beakers, ITE, is now Siemens, & Bryant, is now Eaton, in addition to the Crouse-Hinds, MP, breakers, the line was sold to Siemens, & Crouse-Hinds, reverted to to it’s original name Murray, until it was discontinued a few years ago.