New laptop

Has anybody used a Tablet PC, or is it easier to input data into a PDA during the inspection and transfer it over to a cheaper laptop for the report? the Tablet is a little more expensive than both the PDA and a laptop combined…I wanted to put PVS on a Dell Axim, but since they won’t comply with TREC, I’ve been playing with Homeguage, but HG won’t work on PDAs…:frowning:

I saw a 120GB external USB hard drive for $129 at Costco today. Store the music there. BTW the same laptop I just bought on sale at Staples, was 799 after rebate at Costco.

I was going to upgrade the memory on this one, but they were out of stock. I figured I would notice the 512 vs 1GB, but I haven’t so far, so not sure if am going to spend the $$ just yet.
Tom

Tom,

While your working open the task manager, click on the performance tab. Look at page file usage and physical memory. If page file usage is high and available memory is low (like under 100mb) then consider more. For most people 512K is pretty good but 1GB will perform better because the system doesn’t have to page to disk as much.

//Rick

I am considering the same sort of setup. I think I will be going with the Fujitsu T4020 convertible tablet with the indoor/outdoor screen and Bluetooth. The Fujitsu is fairly expensive (found it for about $1850 at www.datavis.com). The convertible offers the convenience of the tablet with the keyboard available for input.
I’m not trying to sell anything here, just passing along what I’ve discovered so far.:):slight_smile:

What

What software will you use on the Fujitsu tablet?

This just in…

Dell is converting from INTEL to AMD on all of its putas… hmmmm…

I haven’t purchased either yet, but I am leaning tward the Homegauge product.

Duh.:smiley:

I am sold on IBM ThinkPad and believe they are just the very best, a bit pricy but sometimes you get what you pay for. I am currently in the market for a new T43 this is a strictly business only computer.

If what you are looking for is a highly durable yet light laptop, with great performance, great usability and from a company that will provide good service and support, then the ThinkPad T43 is the hand that fits the glove. On paper you will be able to configure a Dell Inspiron with the same specs as a T43 for a lower price, but you won’t get the same build quality and usability with an Inspiron.

Good suggestions here. In the past I have used many diff. types, and prefer Toshiba, Sony, and IBM. Have had bad experiences with Compaq, but have equally known others who like them. Go figure, eh?!

Has anyone evaluated the new Apple Powerbook Pro? For +/- $2000, it has many good features, and the Intel Core Duo processor. Can also operate in dual mode for either Mac OS or Windows XP, and can run many windows apps.

Thanks for any feedback.

Had an opportunity to see & play with a Panasonic Toughbook 18 this weekend, most likely my next Laptop.

The way they are priced you can tell our government buys them.:wink:

Billy, I’ve been using a tablet for three years now - love it!

You can buy an ACER C110 for about $600 on ebay. Call me if you need more details-
tg

I sell the Acers brand new. I can get you a good price.

I needed a cheap one for a back up, and I bought a acer aspire 5004wlmi. I really like it thus far. THe screen is great, we will see how it works out. My other 2 are hp, and compaq. The compaq is on the way to be repaired as we speak.

I have a virtually new Fujitsu Tablet in mint condition for sale, if anyone’s interested:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=72814&postcount=31

John S. Faherty
j.faherty@comcast.net
Mass Certified Home Inspections