New to the industry in OK

Hello there! I’ll be taking my state license exam in the next few weeks, I’m looking to either join an established team of inspectors who can help “show me the ropes” or start off on my own in Oklahoma. Any advice?

2 Likes

Hey Jeremy, welcome aboard.
In what part of OK are you located.

1 Like

Hi, welcome and good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m in North Edmond.

Welcome!! Learn all you can.

2 Likes

Welcome to our forum, Jeremy!..Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

I am getting bits and pieces of what is going on in Oklahoma with half of the state now being owned by the Native Americans. How does this work for peoples houses and businesses own on that land?

1 Like

No idea, but I haven’t heard of anyone having issues. Then again I don’t live on NA land so my info is limited.

Not sure how it is all going to turn out.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Jeremy have fun and enjoy. :grinning:

1 Like

Jeremy, I am in Jenks, so don’t get your way often.

As far a the Indian land goes, from what I have found out it is mainly dealing with tribal members involved in crimes on indian land. Those cases would go to federal or tribal courts. I am sure we will learn more scary things as time goes on!

2 Likes

Yeah I did see that, people will do just about anything to stay out of jail lol

Jeremy, contact some CMIs or CPIs within 40 to 50 miles, or so, to your area and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help you. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring.

Here is the link: Find a Certified Master Inspector®

And the link for CPIs: Find Certified Home Inspectors Near You - InterNACHI®

1 Like

Hi, Jeremy.

We have everything you need to be a successful home inspector in Oklahoma. Visit How to Become a Certified Home Inspector in Oklahoma - InterNACHI®. This is our main OK state page of information for home inspectors, including:

• home inspector certification;
  • home inspector insurance (required by the state) with special member discount pricing;
  • free, online CE for home inspectors (required by the state);
  • radon certification (free and online);
  • an OK Chapter of home inspectors; and
  • much more.

And it’s all on that page.

So, in reference to gaining experience, you may find it challenging to find an inspector who will help essentially train their competition. So, you may want to do what I highly recommend in our Master Class for Home Inspectors. And that is to practice, practice, practice performing inspections by performing inspections on your house several times while using inspection report software, and inspect the houses of your family, friends, neighbors and real estate agent associates. You can also to virtual ride-alongs with certified master inspectors on https://www.nachi.org/webinars/2018/free-online-live-how-to-perform-a-home-inspection-class and Detailed Home Inspection According to the Standards of Practice with Ben Gromicko - Free Home Inspector Webinar - InterNACHI®.

But that’s just a part of what needs to be done–the inspection technical training. The other parts are business and marketing. You have to work on the business and marketing aspects too. At the same time. And fortunately, we have everything you need in regards to those things as well. You can take the Master Class for Home Inspectors, which covers those topics, or you can start with a training video: "Business and Marketing Tips for Home Inspectors" Class - Free Home Inspector Webinar - InterNACHI® or take the business course at Home Inspection Business and Marketing Course - InterNACHI®.

Hope that information helps. If you ever need anything, feel free to reach out to me or your Education Team at education@internachi.org.

1 Like

Take any opportunity to go on inspections with other seasoned inspectors. Learn from them, and make good relationships with your fellow inspector brothers. They can help you when you are in a pinch or may not be sure what you are looking at. Go slow and only produce quality reports. Keep em short, but cover your butt with hundreds of pics proving what you inspected. Have fun and enjoy the career!

Helpful hints for New Inspectors.pdf (230.1 KB)
Check this out…good luck!