Newbie Home Inspector... Just Certified... Now what?

Hello everyone here! I am excited that I just completed the requirements to get CPI, but now I am lost on what to do next. I know I have to complete the rest of the requirements within one year. I guess I just want to hit the ground running and start inspecting some homes. Should I start my own company or should I gain experience with an established company? I am leaning towards learning the ropes with the guidance of an established Inspector. Anyone here from Southern California willing to help me get on the right track? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.

Third option is to start inspecting friends and families houses to gain some experience.

2 Likes

Gain experience by identifying defects @afrydenlund is critical. Inspect as much as you can.

Second, and I think this is not apparent to new inspectors, Report writing! You are going to have to be able to produce a professional report sooner than later.

Of course, you are going to have to learn how to identify defects before you can write about them.

2 Likes

Helpful hints for New Inspectors.pdf (230.1 KB)
Check this out…

1 Like

This is great! I will read through this. Thanks for your help.

1 Like