Newly Licensed Inspector - Mentoring Question

I recently received my Florida Home Inspector’s License, and have done the required classes on InterNACHI to date. I have not done the 4 required mock inspections due to the fact, that I would like to make certain I complete the inspections correctly. After looking at this more in depth as a business, I have decided that I just don’t have the experience in the industry to jump straight in. I would like to see if it would be possible to work underneath someone and learn the business while helping their business grow and expand.
Do any of you think this would be a good idea, and if so, how I might inquire about any company willing to take me on and teach me?

No sense on waiting to do mocks. Dive in!! Get every friend, family, neighbors and wherever you can to get a house to practice on. I did over 40 mocks prior to kicking things off and I’m glad I did. The first few, get acquainted with a routine and make sure you get everything. After that, start giving your presentation to these folks like they were real clients.

Everything you need to know is here. Threads on routines, checklist, etc.

I would think you would have a hard time finding a competitor to teach you in your area (Unless your close to Russell) without paying them good money for that service.
Might need to be willing to travel.

Are you hesitant from lack of knowledge? Whats your background?

You can do it this way but it is hard and slow .
Mentoring with another home Inspector will teach you a lot of information and proper methods a lot sooner .
If you can get some one to take you out even at $50;00 a trip and 25 + or - trips it would be money well spent .
You might have better luck getting some one to take you out if you look about 100 miles away.

Roy

I have worked in and around the construction industry for the past 13 years, previously I owned my own company and was a vendor for Home Depot fabricating and installing Silestone/Granite countertops. However, my most concentrated and recent building construction experience was as an Assistant Superintendent on large commerical multi-residential projects. 

I was laid off by my last job at the end of November. I need to get some money coming in the door as soon as possible! I am willing to travel to work and learn as long as I am able to bring in an income. My main worry is not really getting the inspection portion of the business wrong, but being able to get business in the door and "money" to pay bills and grow my business.  Affording some of the tools that I need and marketing a business takes money that I just don't have right now. My wife is also unemployed and in school so I need to have an income. 

I would rather help a competitor in order to learn and make money, rather than being forced to take a job doing something else outside of the field that I do not have a passion for.

Understand your predicament. Most inspection company’s I see hiring, want experienced inspectors. You might get lucky and find an inspector not getting around to good these days that is needing someone just like you. Good luck and I wish you well and hope it works out for you and your family.

Brian you are always welcome to come to Fort Myers and ride along. We are wanting to produce quality inspectors for the public. There is a HUGE price for we cannot do this for just FREE.

The price is, when you become in the position to help, you pay it forward…

A true professional!

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Thank you for the invitation to come down and ride along with you. I would like to come down sometime before March 1st. Please let me know the best dates for you with your schedule. I would like to get as much info as possible. If it is alright with you and I can find a cheap hotel could I ride and pick your brain for two days?
[/FONT]

Anytime Monday thru thursday for the next couple of weeks. Since you are having a hard time, if you come down for a couple of days, I will chip in $100 towards the hotel. I want Florida to have the best inspectors in the NATION! Come down and pick away, but if your looking to pick my brain it should only take about 12 seconds…:wink:

Your are also welcome to travel to Miami and ride with me

Way to go Will…love it! The more knowlege the better…

Brian, give me a call if you don’t mind driving to Miami or if you have any questions on starting/running a Home Inspections business.
I’ll be more than happy to help. :smiley:

Thank you so much. I would like to come down and ride along with you on Wednesday the 23rd and Thursday the 24th? What time do you start in the morning? This way I can make sure that I leave Tampa Wednesday morning in time to get there with some time to spare. I figure if I leave here aroud 5a.m. that would put me in town around 7 or 7:30.

who knows…but that should be OK. Call me at 239-225-8525 and leave a message. I will call back when I get a chance. Would love to have you. Bring a notebook and a good attitude…

Nice guys, true pro’s…

i can tell you it will be tough to get started with money pressure already looming. I would offer you to ride along up here in Tampa St. Pete area, but I’m so new and my business so irregular that you could “walk along” Send me an e-mail, perhaps we could have a conference call to share some knowledge. If I can help, I will try to, OK?