No More Roof Inspections?

Rereading it…I think you are right. It is very oddly worded.

That’s really funny, I’m quite certain that home inspections result in reporting adverse conditions that in turn puts roofers on site, result of this bill would probably result in more homes being sold with adverse conditions going unreported and likely the same number of inspections performed. The end result is harming the public, at least to some extent however that hasn’t stop them yet.

Or, as I’ve been licensed for early 20 years I’ll just go take a test and become a C 39, what good does that do?

I would think that this should be a call to action for Nachi ASHI & CREIA

How many members do we have in California?

I can’t imagine Realtors wanting to schedule a separate roof inspection for every single property. It puts extra burden on them.

If the Realtor lobby were to take a stand against this, I doubt the bill would get far.

Like I said - you need to tag team them.

The negative is not what it seems here, the negative is creating a loophole for repairs post inspection.

There are a number of possibilities to spin this into money and possibly at an expense to the public.

Some years ago, Jim B posed a situation where a contractor who also performs home inspections but obviously under different entities is able to walk the thin line of ethics with stuff like this… this make the line a whole lot wider to walk on.

The Legislative Counsel’s Digest misstated the legislation. I’ll have it fixed next week. Don’t worry.

It doesn’t end there. This sounds like an attempt at a systematic disassembly of the separate Inspection profession. You get one system/area barred at a time.

This can benefit the less than scrupulous REA. The less that gets inspected the less they would have to worry about a deal going South. If the cost of the home inspection escalates as a result of this there will be plenty of buyers (or other potential clients) who would opt not to have one or the other area inspected in an attempt to reduce the costs.

If the REA can find enough roofers willing to perform the roof inspections for free in an attempt to get the business this too will benefit the less than scrupulous REA. Those working for free will be the new REA Lackeys and soft report writers.

Just out of curiosity they make mention of roofers that hold a C-39 license are exempt from this. Are there any accountability measures under that C-39 license category to protect consumers if the roofer is either crooked or inept?

This legislation doesn’t prevent us from inspecting the roof during a home inspection.

I am fighting a similar battle here in Okla and I am the only one in the fight no help at all.

Contractors in this State can perform a inspection within their license and then come back the next day and make repairs. I have made contact with 3 different legislators and can not perk their interest. To me this is a very high conflict of interest and should not be allowed. The law for contractors performing inspections should be the same as for home inspectors no repairs for a period of one year.

Why would it prevent an inspector from inspecting a roof at any time?

That is good news. Please keep us updated.

HomeGard has skirted the law for years. If they do the home, Termite andRoof they send 3 inspectors. They bid the termite and roof. But I know from peeps they sneak a few things in from the home inspection. The thing the illustrious politician missed is the Roofing Contractor is not doing the home inspection. I had to read the legislation twice to make sense of it. CA politicians always good for a laugh right up to the point you want to strangle them.

Thanks for looking in Nick…

Question, you state this bill doesn’t prevent HI from inspecting roofs… however… in the first snippet/picture below it says “and would prohibit a home inspector from performing a roof inspection on the same home upon which the home inspector performed a home inspection”

HI Bill No Roof - Cute.JPG

HI Bill No Roof.JPG

Correct. The legislation seeks to prevent home inspectors from also performing stand-alone roof inspections on homes where they previously performed an entire home inspection. It doesn’t seek to extract the roof portion of a home inspection from home inspections. It’s confusingly written but as currently written, it doesn’t change anything a home inspector does. It merely prevents that home inspector from coming back and offering a stand-alone roof inspection on the same house.

A roof inspection is a type of inspection. If this law were to be enacted a home inspector couldn’t come back later and perform only a roof inspection on the same house. I suspect the reasoning for this legislation is to try to prevent home inspectors from becoming bird-dogs for roofing companies. I think we might want to support this legislation.

So why should a home inspector ever be restricted from inspecting a roof, especially a roof of a home that he has inspected?

This proposed legislation, as written, allows inspectors to do stand-alone inspections on roofs of houses that they have not inspected, but not on those that they have inspected. Hardly seems to serve the public interest in any capacity.

A roof inspection is a type of inspection. If this law were to be enacted a home inspector couldn’t come back later and perform only a roof inspection on the same house. I suspect the reasoning for this legislation is to try to prevent home inspectors from becoming bird-dogs for roofing companies. I think we might want to support this legislation.

Think about the big picture: There is so much money in roofing that a roofing company could, starting tomorrow, offer free home inspections just to get the leads on the roofs that not only need work, but need to have that work done immediately to save a real estate deal.

This legislation appears to be to be a sloppy, but well intentioned attempt to prevent our industry from becoming bird-dogs for the much larger roofing industry.

I’m not pointing the finger at any of you, but this mess is a direct result of our profession’s willingness to sell consumer data.

Again, not pointing fingers, but we have vendors in this industry that make bank on selling your client’s data: HomeHubZone Inspection Software, Nathan Thornberry, Homeowner’s Network (HON), etc.

There is a growing movement in our country to stop this practice. Again, not criticizing anyone, just thinking out loud.

Just have to quote this.