Non Tempered New Window

This window was installed last year. 9" off the floor, the center window has about 20 sq. ft. of non-tempered glass. The two side windows are casements with inside screen. The center window must be tempered, are the casements OK with the inside screen? I would think the owner should have recourse with the window company.

what was the measurement of the side windows?

Side windows about 10 Sq ft, exceeds the max. 9 Sq Ft, but do the screens offer protection?

This may help here;
http://www.mywindowsolution.com/index_files/safetyglass.htm

Marcel :):smiley:

Is tempered glass really required at that location?

No the screens do not offer protection. In fact, they typically have a sticker that says they do not offer fall protection and to parent your kids yourself for safety, or some such.

http://www.gloucesterva.info/codes/Information-Forms/2006IRCCodeUpdate.pdf:)

OH NO!:shock: Let’s not go down this road again. Don’t tell Jeff Pope about this thread:mrgreen:

Sorry, already here. No comment - we’ve been down this road before (fairly recently actually). Carry on :cool:

Are you sure they were not tempered?
Sometimes the Bug is hard to find.

Could not get link to work Marcel.

Try again, worked for me.

THANKS Marcel. :smiley:

All I get is a blue screen.
May be a DNS problem(edit…got it by going to IE) Firefox was the issue)

Bob,
They are definitely not tempered, I took a lot of time to carefully look for the stamp. The owner also stated that the glass is not tempered. This is a replacement window, 2008.

The windows referred to in a recent post were “divided” with grids. The window glass referred to in this thread is not divided or protected in any way. IRC section R308.4 paragraph 7. Exposed area of individual pane larger than 9 Sq. Ft.; Bottom edge less than 18 inches above the floor; Top edge more than 36" above the floor: One or more walking surfaces within 36" horizontally of the glazing. Looks like a window replacement will be required.

Marcel,

Thanks for the links.

Ok just my first response as sometimes they are covered .

How would you react to this?

window at stairs (Small).JPG

Bob,
In my humble opinion, the window sashes do not appear to exceed 9 Sq. Ft. The door is divided, not a continuous glazing. Each should be acceptable.