Notched main beam

Did a job yesterday and found the main beam of the home notched severely in two places. Now, I know this is an automatic red flag but the previous owner had placed jack stands on both sides of each notch and what I am uncertain of is: Does this mitigate the structural issues at all?

No, it is providing temporary support for the damaged beam. Call for an engineered repair to the beam as necessary to eliminate the temporary supports if that is requested.
Permanent support would have lolly columns anchored top and bottom and proper footing as required by the load above.

3 Likes

Thanks very much, I anticipated that would be the response.

Don’t forget the missing cover on the junction box, Bob. :smile:

1 Like

That looks like my Mothers house that was built in the 50s from recycled house parts, with random notches in beams and floor joists, and with lolly columns placed haphazardly along the main beam.

2 Likes

IBC - IRC 502.8: Notches in solid lumber joists, rafters and beams shall not exceed one-sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span.
Both Columns, orientation wrong.

1 Like