Now that You've had a Home Inspection book

I’ve been using the “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection” book for about a year. I used to give out a book from one of the competitors but decided to try this book due to cost savings. My client are very impressed as the information is real world-related to their home. At 500-600 inspections a year the cost savings is also substantial. Most of you know Ben G. He was a home inspector so the books are designed with a Home Inspector’s perspective.

James Krumm
Colorado’s Best Home Inspectiopns, LLC.

You cannot be doing that many inspections at this time. Business for most all inspectors is down over half, and mine is down 75% from three years ago. I give-a-way one of these books at every inspection, but have never heard any feedback in almost two years about the book from clients. These books should be geared to the home buyer/owner, and not the inspector, especially when we are giving the books to the buyer/owner.

These guys are economic indicators in their own right. :slight_smile:

500-600 a year come on now who you try’in to fool:shock: I think ur pading ur #s

Not bad for a guy with no web site.

yeah i just tried also:shock:

That is interesting. He has his own Nachi TV episode. I know CBHI had a website, I saw it once after watching the TV episode.

Maybe he is inspecting the same house three or four times in a row? Just Sayin’:roll:

I’ve met Jim several times and don’t think he’s lying. He has multiple inspectors working for him and when I last saw him he had just won a free radon detector to bring his total to 4 or 5. He has multiple websites. It looks like his main one is currently down as Google cached it a few days ago: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.cobesthminsp.com/

Gary, there’s plenty of inspectors doing 2 or even 3 a day in parts of the country right now. It just depends where you are. I see the upload reports on our server. Some states extended their own tax credits like CA where it’s now $10k. Now once those end I’m sure it’ll be a different story.

This week; three inspections. Same week 2009; 9. Same week 2005; 12.

It is really bad here. Most RE’s are using other agents or their buddy contractors for free. Some inspectors are at $149. Termite guys are offering their inspections for free, for the treatments needed or not.

I may just retire, and buy that trailer down by the river.

How many homes were sold in KC last month?

At least you have not round up like Matt yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsTTvKWPZGw&feature=related

Total 8 county area; all RE offices; about 2,500.

Jim was here earlier this week buying more books and picking up more door prizes for his next chapter meeting. He told me he had done 258 inspections this year so far… by HIMSELF.

BTW: There is a hint to how he is getting so much work inside this post :cool:.

I think some of you should give Jim a call. He is always willing to help fellow InterNACHI members.

Home sales need to match the number of inspections proportionately. Otherwise it wouldn’t matter if you were giving out $100 bills instead of inspection books. If houses aren’t being sold, what the h*ll are you inspecting?

Unless of course all the other CO. inspectors are out of business.

Probably the most incorrect statement I’ve heard in a long time.

Your statement implies that all inspectors get an equal share of the pie and so if the pie shrinks, everyone gets less. That is rubbish. There always those who get the lion’s share of any market and their piece gets BIGGER not smaller when their competitors weaken due to a shrinking pie.

That is not rubbish! Even the lions share has to somewhat correlate to the number of homes sold. I just don’t think enough homes are getting sold to support the claim.

Kind of amazing that Jim came on here to advocate the use of a NACHI product, and ends up basically being called a liar.

I congratulate Jim for his ability to do what obviously others including myself have not been able to do in this market. I can’t believe there were no comments inquiring about how he has managed to remain successful. Instead you just dismiss his statement and use your own poor performance to denigrate another inspector. Sounds like the 80/20 rule in full effect here.

Congratulations Jim!

Hey Troy, I’m doing quite fine. I am sitting outside my 1:30 right now. I still don’t think enough sales are being made to support the numbers that guys are talking about. No one needs to market to us.

The only way any inspector is doing any inspections is that they write soft reports, charge $99, or both. Home sales are at their lowest point since 1963. Most agents here in KC are using unlicensed, uninsured contractors to do home “checks” for free, and these contractors are making millions on the repairs they “find” needed or not. I have heard some inspectors here are doing 3 page reports for $99. I will not stoop to that level.

Looks like I will be taking that school bus driving job for fall.

I’ll give you a personal example (something I never really do on this message board). The county I live in is harassing my mountain neighbors because they have non-permitted, non-conventional waste water systems at their mountain homes. Systems that were put in years ago and work fine, but aren’t technically legal. New, permitted systems cost anywhere from $25K to $75K.

Now I’ve installed many legal, permitted septic systems back East. But the county out here requires that installers be licensed. So earlier this year, I took InterNACHI’s free, online septic system course , passed the county exam, and got my license. I did this so that I could legally install a system for one of my friends who wanted it done right.

When I went to order the tank from the casting company, I noticed something. There were no fliers from any installers at the office. They didn’t even have a list of installers. I asked why and was told that new construction has come to complete halt due to the recession and no one is installing new septic systems. In other words, the pie had shrunk and most installers are going out of business. At that point I asked to see the owner. We talked for a while and I took him out to lunch. You can probably see where this is going. The next week we had fliers in his office, information sheets about septic systems on a nice stand at his office (the free info sheets we created also included information about the company’s tanks and why they are the best of course), and brochures in all his trucks. We then sent out letters to all the registered professional engineers in the county. You get the idea.

Anyway, today, despite new construction being all but dead, we are totally backed up (no play on words intended) with some 45 system installation contracts. It will take us the rest of the year to get them all in and will generate nearly 2 million in revenue.

Yesterday, I had my son drive 4 hours to Craig, Colorado and buy another dump truck (our 3rd just for the septic business). This is the truck dealership that had the truck for sale yesterday: http://byrneequipmentsales.com Here is a pic from their site showing the truck for sale yesterday: http://byrneequipmentsales.com/images/ford%20l800dump%20001.jpg Below is a pic of my son that I took when he brought it home last night. It was a total steal at $11,700 and we got it so cheap because of the recession (which hit the construction industry hard of course). We have another excavator being delivered from Texas and we already have a year’s worth of work for it lined up.

In some cases, heavy equipment is being sold for the price of scrap metal!!!

Now again, as you know. I normally don’t post all this personal stuff on the message board, but my point is very clear. This recession, and maybe it’s going to be a double dip recession, and maybe it’s even going to be a world-wide recession… is FULL of opportunity. Opportunity for septic installers, opportunity for pizza shop owners, opportunity for inspectors, opportunity for everyone who keeps their spirits up, their eyes open and their finger on the trigger… ready to pull in a second’s notice.

Unfortunately for InterNACHI’s revenue, these economic times are creating market consolidation for the inspection industry. That means fewer inspectors (fewer pieces of the pie), but bigger pieces of the pie. I want you to have a big fat piece of pie. But like Jim buying all those books during a weak time in the inspection industry… and like the letters we sent to the RPEs during a weak time in the construction industry… it’s all about marketing. You and your marketing (not the economy) are the decisive factors.