Oops! They forgot to flash this

Hello Community,

Attached here is a picture of my the awning attached to my dads house. It’s clear that the lack of flashing will be a problem down the road when the caulk fails, but what I want to know is, Is the installation of the proper flashing included in a standard roof covering replacement contract? Is this something my that the contractor should fix to make the original job whole?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

1 Like

A good professional roofer would have cut the mortar joint and installed new lead flashing.
It still can be installed without disturbing too much of the roofing.

Welcome to the forum, Michael, enjoy.

1 Like

Professional? flashing is required as part of installation. Lack of proper flashing = half-ass job. And no, they did not forget! They clearly caulked it. If they forgot the roofing tar/caulk mess would be missing.

1 Like

appears there may have been a thru-wall or counter/flashing that was removed from the gap
only the shadow knows

1 Like

Is this correction something the contractor or their insurance company should pay for?

That’s some half-assed crap. They didn’t forget they didn’t know what they were doing.

Evening, Micheal. Hope this post finds you well.
Explain what you observe.

Exterior: Cornice. Composition shingles. Location: First floor window cornice roof overhang.
Observation: Missing headwall flashing.
Recommend: Licensed roofing contractor install headwall flashing.
Limitations: Inspected from a ladder. Images taken with a xxxx point and shoot camera.

Move to the next component.

Masonry: Clay Brick. Running bond. Concave mortar finish.
Row Lock window sills.
Prior repairs.
No adverse conditions observed the day of the inspection.

1 Like