Opening electrical panel boxes outlawed for H.I.s

I’ve heard this twice now from two different realtors that home inspectors are not allowed to open panel boxes and one even said that we can’t go up on the roof (all due to new laws). Give me some feed back on this as I feel like doing something bad.:twisted:

I can smell the Realtors crap all the way in Minnesota. Wishful thinking, and I bet their “pet inspectors” will abide by their wishes. Disgusting.

I wish :slight_smile:

I’m so dam gullible; I’d of quit this dam business before I’d quit doing the above.

Next thing, realtors will say we’re only allowed do the home inspections from our truck in the driveway! lol

I believe it’s the responsibility of the home inspector (in any state) to know their state laws well enough (those that govern inspections) that when comments like this are made, we instantly know the validity of the comment.

There should have never been a question in your mind as to what you are allowed to do during the course of an inspection.

Sounds great I hope they make it law tomorrow. I may even lower prices a little tiny bit.

Ask them for proof.

Jeff is right. No one should be getting information as to how they are to perform their home inspections from any third party … particularly someone who gains financially from the sale of the home.

Smile and nod as you remove the panel cover and operate your own business as you see fit to do.

Had a realtor tell me a few months ago that I couldn’t use the term “wood rot” in a report. She heard it from some 3rd party source and “just wanted to let me know”. Amazing……….

Agents are experts at judging weakness.

“Takes one to know one”.

Are you calling me a expert or an Agent?.
Keep it up and I will have Ray give you a call.

Why do you assume he hasn’t already?

Ahhhh your weakness.:slight_smile:

There may be some validity to that one as it is technically part of a WDO inspection. The term is actually wood decaying fungi, but, I just use “damaged” when I see rotted wood.

Great answer.

If it were only that simple. You not only have to be familer with the state laws but also rules for home inspectors enacted by the DBPR. Perhaps once all this happens, and things become more static one can be fairly confident that thay actually have the latest information as to what the most current laws and RULES for home inspectors happen to be. I commend the gentleman for asking the question and providing the information.

As business professionals, it should be “just that simple.”

I keep current with all regulations that would directly affect my profession. In addition, I have attorneys that will inform me if/when I am doing something that may be prohibited.

As the thread title indicates this it is Florida specific. The question pertained to Florida laws and rules. In my opinion your reply was non-responsive to the question domewhat cold snd displayed a total lack knowledge of our current situation here in Florida. Although the home inspector licensing law was passed in 2007, licensing was not to beging untill July 2010. the Department of Professional Regulation (DBPR) was charged with overseeing home inspectors and developing rules for home inspectors. The DBPR did not begin devloping the rules in 2007, Ilikely waited until close to the effective date in case the legislatue made changes. The legislature did make changes in 2010 including delaying enforcement until July 2011. Also during this time we had a new governor take office and one of his first actions was to stay rule making by all departments under his control. Due to all of this, we are flying by the seat of our pants here in Florida and things could change any time. Besides, in my cosidered opinion the only stupid question is noe that is not asked. Ask nick he been trying to get a clearification on mold requirements.