Opening Electrical Service Panels

I don’t think so Marcel! I just clicked on it and it opens up like any other pic on InterNachi.

I also clicked on the picture and got this

http://forums.ontarioachi.ca/images/ONACHI-MB.png

Advanced Search
Hello There, Guest! LoginRegister
Message-Board / Board Message

Message-BoardYou are either not logged in or do not have permission to view this page. This could be because one of the following reasons:

1. You are not logged in or registered. Please use the form at the bottom of this page to login.

2. You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn’t be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.

3. Your account may have been disabled by an administrator, or it may be awaiting

Sorry Roy are you afraid to register it does not cost anything.
I did not expect any to need to see the picture here as the write up says it all.
However I was also not aware that Len put in the safety feature.
Amazing.

What is amazing Kevin, is that you posted a picture which we can’t see without registering to some association?

Here you go Marcel!

That is better, Thanks!

What do you do if there’s a washer, dryer, or freezer in front of the panel?

Provide this in your Report.

I didn’t think those space requirements applied to movable appliances.

(Ontario) Electrical Code Simplified - It should not be located above freezers, washers, dryers, tubs, counter space, etc.

The floor area in front of the panel of 1m (39.4 inches) must be kept clear. The service panel may not be located above any appliances or counters or similar objects. Rule 2-308

Check out the ESA FLASH notices on the website such as this one - http://www.esasafe.com/pdf/Flash_Notices/01-05-FL.pdf

Thanks Claude.

But remember John!
An inspector does not mention CODE in a report.
It is the job of the electrician to install the panel in an area that will not be violated by the so called “working space rule” yet many times I do find them in the laundry rooms on the wall right over the wash machine and dryer even some times behind a fridge.
Stick to the picture and note where to find the CODE to make changes.
Do not in any way force a change by saying anything about CODE.

I refuse to lean over a washer/dryer/freezer to take the panel cover off. Is that a reasonable approach?

Yes - report it as inaccessible.

How would a home owner reach it in an emergency? This is about safe access to a critical service in a home.

The NACHI graphics are great, (just sayin) but they are not compliant with code or standards - “north of the border”.

Agreed! Learn what is acceptable in your area.

In Québec, the “recognized” SOP require that the electrical panel be removed when it is not a safety issue…

G.

Would having to lean over a freezer be considered a safety issue?

More to the point of my original post.

A member of an Ontario Association has been espousing that home inspectors should not open electrical service panels. It was based on a reaction to a situation where an instance was reported to the MOL about safety.

It was allegedly reported by the home owner who was not pleased with what transpired during a home inspection.

Furthermore it was also based on interpretation of OHSA. Much of the controversy was based on -

The Ministry of Labour has the authority to, and is charged with the responsibility of, enforcing the law.

One needs to review the definitions such as “construction”, “constructor”, “employer”, “owner”, “worker” and “workplace”.

Worker – means a person who performs work or supplies services for monetary compensation but does not include an inmate of a correctional institution or like institution or facility who participates in a work project or rehabilitation program.

Electrical Hazards
**181. **(1) Except where otherwise required by this Regulation, electrical work performed on or near electrical transmission or distribution systems shall be performed in accordance with the document entitled “Electrical Utility Safety Rules” published by the Electrical and Utilities Safety Association of Ontario Incorporated and dated August, 2004. O. Reg. 627/05, s. 4.

183.** **Every reasonable precaution shall be taken to prevent hazards to workers from energized electrical equipment, installations and conductors. O. Reg. 627/05, s. 6.
**184. **(1) No person, other than a person authorized to do so by the supervisor in charge of the project, shall enter or be permitted to enter a room or other enclosure containing exposed energized electrical parts. O. Reg. 627/05, s. 7.

Response -
The practical implication for Ontario home inspectors is that panel covers should only be
removed if the power within the distribution panel enclosure is first turned off. Whether
home inspectors or other non-electricians can legally remove a cover of a de-energized
panel, or even a receptacle or light switch cover plate is subject to interpretation of the
regulations by the regulatory authority.

The bottom line - If a home inspector is injured, causes damage by nicking or shorting a
conductor, or if a disgruntled client, seller, or other person complains to the Ministry of
Labour, then the home inspector would likely be prosecuted and subject to substantial
fines.

The OAHI takes the position that if the panel cover can not be removed, home
inspectors can not perform an adequate inspection of the electrical system and should
advise the client accordingly.

Your thoughts???

This is about a delicate as it gets Claude. We all have the skills and training however things are changing and part of that change is affecting even the Electrician who has the power to open panels without removing power. From my understanding we are not service technicians so in light of this should follow all our training to remove the dead front as specified in our SOP with proper safety equipment.
If the power must be removed from the panel than we as Home Inspectors will need to add this as a must situation and power outage of the Home. My understanding is that we should not do this as part of SOP however again this may be required to make the call in the future.
As for the **Panel Dead Front **YES it needs to be reported that you are not able to inspect the Panel if in the process of the Electrical Inspection you run into a problem such as John is pointing out.
A picture of the condition is also desired along with the narrative.
Yes John leaning over the freezer would be one of those.

Agree,