Outlet installed under the kitchen sink?

Is this acceptable ? … the outlet is on the bottom board under kitchen sink.

Why do you think it is an issue?

2 Likes

there is plenty going wrong under there…but as for the outlet , I would rather have seen it mounted vertically…

4 Likes

What the heck in is going on here?

3 Likes

Is it ok for the outlet to be on the bottom board … Is it a safety issue ?

I am not trying to be difficult. Trying to help. I have my opinion but I want yours.

Why do you think it may be a safety issue?

3 Likes

The horizontally mounted outlet under a sink is a safety issue. Write it up.

3 Likes

Im thinking if the drain pipe leaks … it could flood the bottom board where the outlet is installed …

3 Likes

I agree. The leak would cause an electrical hazard. I would call it out if it were my inspection and recommend a correction for safety reasons.

1 Like

Hi David
Some jurisdictions will allow horizontally mounted (face-up) outlets inside the sink cabinets if they are approved for horizontal/floor mounting.

I would say from looking at your photos that the GCFI outlet installed in this application is incorrect and should be called out.

1 Like

I personally would write it up anyway.

4 Likes

Must have been a bin sale at Home Depot…

5 Likes

Looks like an attempt to provide an island vent. It should have looked more like this.

Iland Plumbing
And that is besides everything else that is wrong under there, including the outlet.

9 Likes

Yes, it’s acceptable.

1 Like

According to whom? You are speaking for his AHJ?

3 Likes

If the kitchen sink cabinet looks like this I suspect I would be writing up the report for this house for days. What a mess!

5 Likes

My understanding is you can fit horizontally to a work surface if the receptacle is rated as to use. Floor ones should also be able to cover up the slots.

You would have to check the receptacle but I cant see it. Once the first fluid is spilt under the sink it is likely to be an issue. I would call it out. I would also call out the workmanship of the job.

Yes, it is outstanding, isn’t it, Leigh? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

[quote=“lmurray2, post:17, topic:212373”]
You would have to check the receptacle but I cant see it.
[/quote] Looks like a regular GFCI to me.

Not speaking for his AHJ or anyone elses AHJ. As a home inspector, as long as it’s GFCI protected I don’t see a problem. Now in saying that, I might mention that if someone spilled something corrosive under there it may be subject to damage.

1 Like