Over fusing?

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Started out bad enough with an FPE and missing knockouts. . .

![](upload://ztKFh6RpdgWGL8x2XM0EbXnFECB.jpeg)

Then there were these #12 cu connected to 30A breakers. . .

These breakers were actually feeding two 240V outlets in the garage. Follow the blue wires to their connections

How many more defects can you find?

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: ekartal

I don’t quite get why the knockouts are considered ‘missing’. I thought that would be the case if there were voids in the panel. icon_smile.gif

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Jeff do you mean the Neutral and Ground sharing the same bus VOID of a Main Disconnect?

Originally Posted By: psabados

Knock outs missing at the top of the box. Most likely a used panel box to begin with. Look what one can do with a spare box, a few breakers and a length or two of odd wire

Paul

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Picture 1 no problem for a HI.

Picures 2 & 3 How is this with-in the scope of a visual inspection?

Do you remove drywall to examine the studs?

Mike P.

Pic #1 = unprotected openings in the front cover - most certainly a defect for an HI to report.

Pic #2 & #3 = How is this NOT within our scope? Removing covers is a part of our responsibility when conditions permit.

I was also able to determine that the two 30 amp breakers were actually feeding a 240V circuit. Besides the fact that the circuit is over-fused based on the wire size, the breakers are missing their handle tie.

Neutrals and grounds connected at a "sub" panel (sorry Mike ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) )

Why would I remove drywall? I don't carry mud, tape and an assortment of paints. I can put a panel cover back on with the screwdriver that I carry with me at all times during an inspection ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

pics seemed pretty cut and dry to me also Jeff.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Jeff

"I was also able to determine that the two 30 amp breakers were actually feeding a 240V circuit. Besides the fact that the circuit is over-fused based on the wire size"

Was this an AC?

Jeff I know that you and others are competent. That does not take away from the fact that you are performing an electrical inspection.

Removing ANY component is not visual.

I know that I do not California's rules, my statements are from my Ohio respective.

To all do not let the hair raise on the back of your neck. I try to make statements NOT criticisms.

Mike P.

No Mike, this was not an A/C. It was to a 240V twist lock located only a few feet away from the panel.

I have always appreciated your participation even when I may not agree with you. No hair stands here. I learn a great deal from the questions posed - especially - in this forum (electrical).

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Actually, in my state, it says I will remove cover panels normally removed by consumers in maintaining their equipment…so, removing a panel cover is not required, but unless there is clear and present danger, I remove the panel cover to see for myself the quality of wiring to the home.

Sort of like walking a roof…it’s not required, but it’s one of the better ways to really evaluate it.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

When HI’s call out that the grounded conductor and the equipment grounding conductor are bonded, what it the reference?

Dance around this all you want but this is giving an expert opinion.

Do you call grounded conductors being used as ungrounded conductors and not being re-identified? This is far more dangerous than the bonding issues raised here.

This Saturday I inspected, electrical only, a home that was hit by lightning. The gas lines were not bonded and caught the home on fire. The home was hit and had the gas-lines (Wardflex) been bonded I doubt if the fire would have started at the gas lines. It happened in the basement. The owners were home. AND he was in the basement when it happened.

Mike P.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

In the automotive industry those blue wires would be called fused links.

In this appliation they’re called scary.

Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: ekartal

jpope wrote:
Pic #1 = unprotected openings in the front cover - most certainly a defect for an HI to report.

![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) for not noticing before my first post . I know it's Electric 101. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

Erol Kartal

Glad to have you back in the game Erol icon_wink.gif

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738