wires

Originally Posted By: berby
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/w/woods_020.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: jpope

Is it trimmed excessively? Maybe.

Would I write it up as a defect based on what's visible in your photo? No.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rmoore

I guess I’ll disagree with Jeff…but just a bit.

I think there is a good reason the breaker lugs are recessed, and that is to prevent anything from easily touching exposed hot parts. If you can imagine adding a circuit, the loose bare grounding conductor could contact the trimmed conductors. I don't think it's a big deal until the cover is removed, but then it could be a hazard.

I would write it up, but make sure the client knew that it was easily corrected (by a EC of course).

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: chorne

I’m with Jeff on this one.

cj

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

There is no code violation there. It may be an indication of other workmanship issues tho. I would keep looking if I saw this.

Where this kind of thing can be a real issue is in making up wirenuts in those packed ceiling boxes. I suspect that may be the reason for some of those mystery AFCI trips. I have heard ECs trace AFCI problems to exposed neutral conductors in a fan box that were originally blamed on the fan.

Originally Posted By: ecox1

I will not say it’s defective because it’s not. But to be on the safe side if you in doubt since we are not code inspectors you should refer your client to have it evaluated by a licensed electrician before closing.

Originally Posted By: lkage

ecox1 wrote:
I will not say it's defective because it's not. But to be on the safe side since we are not code inspectors I will refer my client to have it evaluated by a licensed electrician before closing.

Earl, why would you refer it to an electrician (have your client spend money) if you don't believe there is anything wrong with it? And are you going to be willing to pay for the electrician to come out and agree with you..."to be on the safe side"?

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

lkage wrote:
ecox1 wrote:
I will not say it's defective because it's not. But to be on the safe side since we are not code inspectors I will refer my client to have it evaluated by a licensed electrician before closing.

Earl, why would you refer it to an electrician (have your client spend money) if you don't believe there is anything wrong with it? And are you going to be willing to pay for the electrician to come out and agree with you..."to be on the safe side"?

not really to me it not defective but if he is in doubt hey should refer it to someone who will be most likely no.

ecox1 wrote:
lkage wrote:
ecox1 wrote:

not really to me it not defective but if he is in doubt hey should refer it to someone who will be most likely no.

I'm not following you Earl. Who is the "he" you are referring to?..."if he is in doubt"...

--
Galileo Galilei

barron Erby

Originally Posted By: berby

Thanks guys for all your in put.

ecox1 wrote:
barron Erby

Oops!...must have been a long day. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

--
Galileo Galilei