Panel What Do You See

Originally Posted By: mpatton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Take a look at the following pictures do you see anything interesting? The fuse box is rated at 65 amp, the two subs are each 30 amp. How many items can you see?

EDITED 1/20/04 & 1/21/04 AS POSTED FURTHER DOWN

Quote:
The reason I posted this was that I had a customer call and let me know that the "FHA INSPECTOR / APPRAISER" had no problem with the electric service etc. FHA said that with the two panels (fuse box 65 amp & sub panel 30 amp) for a total of 90 amps is provided and is sufficient for this home and the system is OK. Her question to me was basically do you still recommend having the electric inspected by a licensed electrician as stated in the report? YES

If you can see the 30 amp sub panel closest to the right is jumpered off the main lugs prior to the disconnect and is not fused until it gets to the sub panel. That is the single biggest issue in the panel.

But I thought I would share that the 65 amp service with a 30 amp sub panel was OK according to FHA and totaled a 90 amp service. And that the service entry and several other very visible issues existed was not even mentioned.
[img]

Quote:
The Realtor involved in this transaction called today (1/21/03) in regards to other business, during the conversation this inspection came up and he offered some information.

"The seller is cooperating with the buyer and is performing work required and a new electric service is being installed. I commented that I was surprised that FHA had not failed the electric, he commented that he was shocked (no pun intended) that FHA had passed it also.

Mark one up to a Realtor that was reasonable and looking out for the buyer also.
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/01.JPG[/img]
![](upload://wljRBpFY5ONV8WRV9AJeqtguQeX.jpeg)

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Michael,

Picture #1

Service entrance head is not attached to the house.
The service entrance cable is frayed.
The cable clamp near the head is loose.
The service cable is dipping into the gutter (water you know)

Not sure about this one but is that knob and tube laying in the gutter.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I only see one thing.

Get a qualified licensed electrician for a complete evaluation of the electrical system and all necessary repairs or corrections.

What a mess!

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

ZAP ZAP ZAP

Picture #2

The cable is frayed.
The cable clamp is loose.
No sealer around the cable where it penetrates the house.

Joe Myers

Picture #3,4,5,6

What exactly are you looking for? From a fused standpoint I have seem much worse, they had added onto this service a few times but I don't see anything real terrible.

Is FUBAR the word you are looking for?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: wpedley

I can’t resist…this is trick photography…right?

Since when would you have a gutter on what appears to be a gable?

Some people...I just dont know!!! ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

BPedley

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Bill,

It's there to hold the water close to the lectricity.

![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

John,

I thought that was how they got more power down

there in them back hills.

BPedley

J.O.,

Ain't that there the same prinicipl like them thar dams whut make the lectricity. Looks to me like they got one o them thar powr plant gemenraters fo all that powr needin stuff ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Yepper. I reckon. icon_lol.gif

Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Drip loop looks good except it’s not stowed properly in the wireoverhanggutter. icon_eek.gif

Back to the original post.

The reason I posted this was that I had a customer call and let me know that the "FHA INSPECTOR / APPRAISER" had no problem with the electric service etc. FHA said that with the two panels (fuse box 65 amp & sub panel 30 amp) for a total of 90 amps is provided and is sufficient for this home and the system is OK. Her question to me was basically do you still recommend having the electric inspected by a licensed electrician as stated in the report? YES

If you can see the 30 amp sub panel closest to the right is jumpered off the main lugs prior to the disconnect and is not fused until it gets to the sub panel. That is the single biggest issue in the panel.

But I thought I would share that the 65 amp service with a 30 amp sub panel was OK according to FHA and totaled a 90 amp service. And that the service entry and several other very visible issues existed was not even mentioned. ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Dammit Michael, we want to know about the gutter! icon_lol.gif

Inspection Nirvana!

Well than…I reckon dem FHA spectars don’t suffer from

any hidrofoby.That's why the gutter passed.

BPedley

--
BPedley
Inspecting for the unexpected

Sure and just in case there is no water in the gutter to help with the current flow you can always count on the metal gutter! icon_biggrin.gif

Wow, simple minds really do think alike!

Mike,

I can not believe the FHA inspector let that electrial on that place pass. Now, I can understand the fused service, I just happen to believe fuses really are safer but the issues on the outside just can not be overlooked.

Must not know what he is looking at!

Joe Myers

Back to the original post:

The Realtor involved in this transaction called today (1/21/03) in regards to other business, during the conversation this inspection came up and he offered some information.

"The seller is cooperating with the buyer and is performing work required and a new electric service is being installed. I commented that I was surprised that FHA had not failed the electric, he commented that he was shocked (no pun intended) that FHA had passed it also.

Mark one up to a Realtor that was reasonable and looking out for the buyer also.

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Article 336 covers auxiliary gutters. icon_wink.gif

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: Tim Purtill

Hello, Michael and everybody. My name is Tim Purtill. I am a Canadian inspector from the Toronto area of Ontario. I am not sure what an FHA inspector is. I will presume that FHA stands for something like Federal Housing Authority, which presumably is an organization that insures high risk (less than 25% down payment) loans. How am I doing so far???

If I am on track so far, your FHA is the equivalent of our CMHC, which is Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. However, we do not have any equivalent, that I am aware of, to your FHA inspector. Is this person's role more inspector or value appraiser? Here in Canada, the bank sends out an appraiser to evaluate the value of the property relative to the mortgage being sought by the purchaser. Maybe they do perform the same or similar function.

Anyway, I can't imagine anyone with any sort of credentials, experience or even a set of eyes not commenting in the negative, regarding this installation.

Kudos to your Realtor for keeping the clients interests up front and center. It has been my experience that there are far more good realtors than one would realize if you only listened to home inspectors.

Any education that you could help me out with would be much appreciated. I am also a Qualified Electrician up here, although I am exclusively involved in the HI business since 1997 and have performed a bit over 3000 inspections since then.

Tim Purtill,
Canspec Homeservices
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada.
www.canspechome.com

I.e. Forum 'rules'

--
Tim Purtill
Canspec Homeservices
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada.

Our FHA inspectors here run the gambit from idiots to halfway decent inspectors. They are both appraisers and pseudo inspectors, at least the ones I’ve met or dealt with.

A long story...

I once inspected a townhouse in Sterling VA. The TH had T-111 siding with texture paint on it of the popcorn variety. I noted wood rot by the front stoop, and by the rear sliding glass door. Neither place was much larger than the size of a quarter, and it didn't look like it had spread at all. Had lots of electrical issues inside, and plumbing issues too. The electrical was the worst by far. Harry Homeowner got a 1960's Time Live book on wiring you house, and set forth to do so. A sparky couldn't have gotten the wiring safe in less than a day, and probably not for less than a couple large. I explained all to my client and his agent, wrote the report, and all were happy.

A couple of days later I got a call from the FHA inspector babe who decided that she had to challenge my opinions of the house. (bring it on) She said nothing of the significant electric issues, or of the leaks in the plumbing, or of the broken windows, nonfunctional oven/range, and water heater with obvious backdraft issues. Nope, nothing at all about those, not even about the nonfunctional smoke detectors. But boy, she lit into me for about 5 straight minutes about the fact that I had missed the "EIFS" problems on the exterior of the home, and that the damage was showing up near the front door and rear sliding glass door as deteriorated EIFS underlayment.

I went ahead and let her finish her rant while I quaffed a couple of brews, and said, "What EIFS, that house didn't have any EIFS on it?" After her next five minute rant and a couple more beers, I explained to her the difference between T-111 wood siding with popcorn texture paint on it and true EIFS. Then I mentioned all of the other things that she didn't even think to mention, and that I would be happy to meet her at the house anytime to show her the difference between the types of siding, especially since the house was only 5 minutes from mine.

Her reply.....Thank you...click.

Guess she understood.