Electric Panel

Originally Posted By: rkuntz
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What is the common recommendation for a 60 AMP fuse box? Should this be a strong recommendation to upgrade? Should I have it reviewed by a electrician? Or is it ok as long as they don’t add load to the system?

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Here’s what I tell them.

This residence is served with only 60 Amps of Electrical Service. A 60 Amp Service is considered small by today's standards. You should consider the electrical load you plan to place on the system to ensure that 60 Amps will meet your needs.

I probably should go further and tell them "in general" a typical load for a 60 Amp service.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: rwills

I do Inspections for a Relo company that states for 60A Service: “If 60A 110?220 volt service with2 or more installed 220 volt loads or 30A 110 volt service is present, indicate the service is not adequate.” This may vary by area, also, I would do a load calculation. It may suffice for the current owner who probably got used to it but, a new owner may want to add more appliances etc.

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

60 amp panels are undersized by todays standards. I usually write in the report the panel is antiquated. Recommend upgrading to at least 100 amp main breaker. You can cut some liability for yourself if you recommend upgrading. At that point you really do not have to worry about aluminum wire or undersized wires, unless it burns down before the professional electrician gets there! :slight_smile:

Joe Myers

A & N Inspections, Inc.

http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: rray

Many insurance companies, post 9/11 here in California, are declining to write insurance on homes with service capacity of less than 100 amps. When I find such, I always tell my Client that service capacity might not be adequate and recommend that they contact their preferred insurance company before close of escrow to ensure that they can get appropriate insurance on the residence. Realtors are impressed when the “great” policy they were getting their client excludes houses with less than 100-amp service capacity.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Russel,

That is a tough one. I just happen to think that fuses are safer than breakers. I would hate to be them if Bussman ever got ahold of that information.

Joe Myers

I agree that fuses are safer. In San Diego, less than 100-amps service capacity, fuses, a home built before 1950, PB plastic (or anything other than copper pipes), lack of anchor bolts or other appropriate seismic upgrade, are several things that I am aware of that insurance companies are using to decline insurance. There purpose, as one of my insurance friends from State Farm told me, is to so frustrate the prospective client that the client simply decides to go to another company. State Farm never said “No” per s?, they just made it so hard that the Client left. Awesome marketing techniques in difficult times. State Farm (and others) can legitimately say, “We issue policies to 99% of those who apply to our company.” Of course, 99% of 100 polices is not like pre-9/11 where they issued 80% of 1 million policies.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Russel,

I just had a run in with the company that provides our home owners insurance. They told me that I had to replace the garage roof and the fascia boards or they were gonna drop our insurance. BAD MANEUVER.

I simply informed them that the roof will be replaced when I feel like getting up there and doing it and at the time it was way too cold to be doing any roofing. In my defense the roof is still there and it is still not leaking. I have to admit the fascia looks like a honeycomb from the carpenter bee's but looks are not everything.

They really start singing a different tune when you say the word, insurance commission! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi guys,

Call me crazy but these posts seem to be going in tangents.

We go from 60Amp to facia boards and roofs to homeowners ins.

??

Carla ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Carla,

The topic started with the 60 amps fused disconnect. Then it went to insurance companies that would not provide home owners insurance on the homes that have the 60 amp fused disconnect. Just so happens I have had a few run ins with those insurance companies and thought it was relevant to provide everyone with information on what to do when dealing with those insurance companies. In this case it would not be off topic, it would be closer to "scope creep". ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Ron…in reply to your initial topic…you should either do a load calculation on the house to determine if the 60 amp service is adequate, or if you do not wish to do the load calculations, simply state to the client…

" At today standards the 60 amp service and panel in your home may not be adequate for the load of your house. Therefore, it is recommended that the service and load be determined by a qualified licensed electrician."

I have posted the formula for the load of a house though...and I would venture to say that you could save the client some time and money if ya just calculated it yourself. But that is up to you...just a suggestion. Chances are the 60 amp service and panel were inadequate and should have been at least 100 amps.

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Dennis Bozek wrote:
" At today standards the 60 amp service and panel in your home may not be adequate for the load of your house. Therefore, it is recommended that the service and load be determined by a qualified licensed electrician."

Dennis. Where'd you get a copy of my report at? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

umm did I say that icon_eek.gif

This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Jeez, will you guys please stop agreeing with each other, its getting way to scary, it’s like oil & water mixing, ying & yang getting married. I just can’t take it any more icon_confused.gif

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry,

Just shut up and go have another bottle of Merlot! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Joe, I would but at this time of the morning it makes the frosted wheaty bangs taste funny icon_eek.gif

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry,

You silly. You just have to drink much more before you eat so you can't taste them. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

umm what is Merlot? Isn’t he that magician guy…oops wait that is Merlin… icon_lol.gif I am not well versed in all the exotic drinks in this world! icon_lol.gif Is Merlot the choice of drink for HI’s? If one doesn’t like Merlot can he be affective as a HI? So many questions…gee this HI stuff is getting hard!