Passing NHIE? Please help!

I need help!! I’ve been a member of NACHI for awhile now and have taken and failed the NHIE twice now. At $225 a test I would like to be more confident going into the next test. I’ve researched the web over and over and have seen multiple sites that claim to “help” you pass the exam. Can anyone please give me some advice on how to finally pass the test? I’ve taken NACHI’s test over and over , routinely scoring 90 or higher but when I take the NHIE , you would think the test is foreign with none of the questions resembling what I’ve learned as a member of NACHI. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

1 Like

The test is designed so that professionals acquainted with the material will pass, so you should determine if your failure has to do the material or the test itself. Once you understand your weakness you can then take the proper steps toward a workable solution. Home inspection isn’t rocket science but the knowledge required is very broad with many exacting terms which must be understood in context. Spend whatever time necessary to understand the terms and language to the point that you completely understand all of the words as opposed to memorizing test questions, that way you’ll be able to logic your way through the exam when the question is different from what you studied.

When taking the exam answer all the questions you are certain of skipping those you’re unsure of, then go back and work those hard questions knowing you’ve aced the ones you are familiar with.

6 Likes

Second time I’ve heard exactly that this week. Mathew, you should be studying the NHIE Home Inspection Manual (not the study guide) upon which the exam questions are based. Warning… it’s expensive! Ask around on the boards or facebook groups for a used copy.

5 Likes

Well, that’s interesting…

2020-10-15_210638

2 Likes

Instead of automatically posting an unhelpful smartass remark , why don’t you ask first. I’ve been on here a year, canceled right before I took my 2nd exam then rejoined to ask questions on this forum where I thought I’d get useful information. Thank you to those who offered advise instead of being like this keyboard tough guy

7 Likes

Mathew, there is a saying on this forum; “Pick up your gold nugget of knowledge and sidestep the turdly comments.”

Employ that and you do better as you get to know the people here.

Good luck with finding a used NHIE Study guide. Use the magnifying glass at the top right to search from the main forum page, check eBay, Craiglist, etc.

4 Likes

Inspector Brotherhood has an active Facebook page

Probably not from ABE books though.

ABE listed one of my Jobsite Phrasebooks on there for about the same price… I printed that out and hung it on my wall. Was hoping someone would buy one, but at that price, no one did. :cry:

2 Likes

Only the lazy ask without researching on their own first!!

1 Like

Hi Matthew,

Having recently passed the NHIE here is a response I gave to someone else More NHIE frustrations..

This is what I would add:

1. If I recall correctly the exam results should have given you a breakdown of how many questions you answered correctly in each area of knowledge. Combine that with the results from your NACHI practice questions and take the courses related to the areas where you are weakest. This was the biggest help for me. Know where you are weak, and don’t just find and answer questions. Take the courses over and over until you understand the material.
  2. Flashcards (good for tests).
  3. The NACHI practice exam is good but it draws 120 questions from a larger pool of the same questions each time you take it. Google NHIE exam questions and take every free exam you can find to get a wider variety of questions.
  4. As much as I enjoy the NACHI site, go to other sites and find additional information on the different areas of study.
  5. Persistence.

HTH and GL!

6 Likes

As Kenton said, get the NHIE Home Inspection Manual. Everyone that I recommended the manual to passed the test on the first try. The book contains quiz questions that are phrased in the same manner as on the test. These are great practice as the test questions usually contain more than one correct answer. You have to chose the BEST one
Remember it is a NATIONAL test, so questions may not be applicable to your geographic area but they still will be on the test! The book covers everything on the test.
Yes it is not cheap, but it is cheaper that taking the test multiple times.
Best of Luck!

6 Likes

You should make sure you take and pass all the study guides from here that are required to be a certified member, if your only doing your state requirements you won’t pass the test, do all the required courses. Then take as the practice test on here, it gives you answers as you go and take this practice test as much as you can…

3 Likes

I believe Chris is from Vermont…
The NHIE Study guides will get you nowhere. Study the NHIE Manual.

3 Likes

Take this until you score in the 90s on all subjects: https://www.nachi.org/qa.htm

5 Likes

I conclude that taking the test will not make a great home inspector . The time in the field learning from a experienced mentor and doing this job will provide the best inspectors. I don’t care how many test you take or books you read the real test is learning on the job everyday the way many apprentices electricians , plumbers, HVAC. I read many post where new inspectors can not tell if the shingles on a roof are old or when to recommend to replace roof covering. But they took the test and are qualified. I had a real estate agent call me to have my company to come out to do a home inspection for a client who used her boyfriend who recently took some home inspection course who did her inspection. The newbie HI reported knob and tube wiring present and a defect. There were no knob and tube wiring present on our findings. The boyfriend also stated the vertical hairline cracks to concrete basement walls were a major defect and need a structural engineer. Our findings were normal hairline cracks and not a major defect. So do the best you can to pass this test and keep learning. Every future home inspection you are going to find something you don’t know or cant explain. Home Inspection is a ongoing learning process where you find new technologies and learn to get better.

1 Like

No offense and I thank you for all your help but I’ve taken the NACHI test more times than I can count and have gone into the NHIE confident. The NACHI test does not prepare you in any way for the national exam and it just repeats the same questions every time you take it. Again, very thankful and not trying to be negative

3 Likes

No problem. Look for a used NHIE Manual and study that.

3 Likes

Matthew,
keep checking ebay for a used NHIE inspection manual. Last I looked there was bidding at $60.00

2 Likes

Thanks so much to everyone for all the help. I purchased a used NHI manual and trying to find a guide at an affordable price. Y’all came through big time. I hope to be able to pass it forward one day

3 Likes

Once you pass, you can sell the manual to someone in need.

It is good to keep the manual for future reference, I have one and don’t plan on selling it.

5 Likes