Pellet Stove vent

I inspected a house yesterday where the vent for the pellet stove passes horizontally through the exterior wall and terminated about 4’ below the patio cover. There was no discoloration of the ceiling from heat. Anyone familiar with the requirements for the vent? Can it terminate under a roof?

Check the make and model installation instructions for that particular one.

Here is another:
http://www.pelletking.com/pellet-stove-manuals/Whitfield-Advantage-IIT-Pellet-Stove-Manual.pdf

See page 14, C and D:

C. Not less than 2’ (.6m) from combustible materials 

such as an adjacent buildings, fences, protruding
parts of the structure,
roof overhang, plants and
shrubs, etc. and not less than 7’ (2.1m) above grade
when located adjacent to the public sidewalks (ac-
cess). The final terminati
on of the exhaust system
must be configured so that flue gases do not jeop-
ardize the safety of people passing by, overheat
combustible portions of near
by structures or enter
the dwelling.
D. Not less than 3’ (.92m
) below an eave (maximum
overhang of 3’ (.92m) or any
construction that pro-
jects more than 2” (51mm) from the plane of the wall.

Gary… The only number that I am familiar with on horizontal pellet stove vents is 3’ to combustibles, (from Harmon stoves installation manual).
If your community regulates pellet stove installations you can check with the AHJ.
If installations are not regulated by AHJ, I would look up the installation manual online.
As to the patio cover overhead, I personally don’t like the idea but it may pass muster with your AHJ.
Inform your client that sidewall pellet stove vents produce smoke when they first light, and that this will stain the siding over time.
Also pellet stove exhaust will sometimes carry glowing embers out of the vent.
I have seen these embers start fires next to the home. (fallen leaves).
Advise your client to keep the area around and below the vent free of combustibles.

Larry and Scott…thanks for the info.

Yes you can terminate it under a deck as long as the entrance on the deck is more than 3 feet away nothing is said. However you take a chance at making everyone sick from the exhaust. Keep in mind the stack effect in the home itself and think about the design when you talk to a concerned Client.
I would also mention what Scott says to help people understand they are not as safe as a sealed gas, propane or oil unit exhaust.

It is acceptable as long as manufactures specifications allow for it. The only issues is the lack of stack effect as Kevin said. If there is a power failure and the fan does not operate to push the fumes out, then you may get exhaust gasses pushing back into the house. I would advise the clients that it is acceptable, but be aware of the negative effects.