Pennsylvania 100 inspection Requirement

Hello, I am a new member and I am looking to become a home inspector in Pennsylvania. I am having a hard time understanding the 100 inspection rule. How am I to participate in 100 inspections without being employed by an inspection company? I have a full time job and was originally looking to start doing inspections on the side as I built up by company. Any input or guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Robert,

I found the following info on this site:

A common question asked is how to participate in 100 inspections to gain full membership in a non-profit association and be fully-compliant. This is generally accomplished by shadowing or riding along with other home inspectors. There are many Pennsylvania home inspectors who can provide home inspector mentoring. You are responsible for mentoring fees and for maintaining a log of your experience.

You can find a list of InterNACHI members in Pennsylvania who do mentoring using this link.

1 Like

Thank You Saman! I was wondering how it would work with an established inspector mentoring someone who would then become their competitor. I will reach out to some local inspectors. Thanks !!

You’re welcome! I’m in the same boat as you, and the advice I’ve seen is that you should target mentors that are about an hour away from you (if you intend on opening you’re own business, rather than work for a company). As you said, no one wants to train their competition.

That being said, I suggest you reach out to who ever you can. I believe an established inspector, who’s busy enough, is not going to be too worried about a newbie “stealing” business from them. Also, there are plenty of people who build “networks” and pass around business leads where they’re too busy to follow them.

Good luck!

1 Like

Welcome to our forum, Robert!..Enjoy! :smile:

Also, you may want to contact some CMIs or CPIs within 40 to 50 miles, or closer, to your area and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help you. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring or hiring.

Here is the link for CMIs: Find a Certified Master Inspector®

And the link for CPIs: Find Certified Home Inspectors Near You - InterNACHI®

And Mentors: https://www.nachi.org/mentoring and https://www.nachi.org/my/mentoring

Also, you may want to take advantage of your Education Team at education@internachi.org for specific questions e.g. 15 Steps to Become a Successful Home Inspector - InterNACHI® and InterNACHI® Master Class for Home Inspectors .

2 Likes

Tough thing to do. Went through something similar here in Virginia. Had to have 100 to be called a certified inspector. If you were closer, I’d help you some.