Pennsylvania Senate Bill No. 928

Originally Posted By: jhagarty
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

SENATE BILL No. 928

This Bill provides for the Development of The Pennsylvania Home Inspectors Board.

http://www2.legis.state.pa.us/wu01/li/bi/bt/2003/0/sb0928p1209.pdf

The PAR Breakdown and Interpretation of the law.

http://www.parealtor.org/content/legislativebriefingpaperhomeinspection.asp

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

If we’re gonna have licensing… this is the kind of licensing I like!

All references to ASHI have been deleted out of it.

![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Nick

o Adopt and revise rules and regulations;

o Review, approve or reject applications for registration and annual renewal;

o Enter into reciprocity agreements with other states or territories;

o Establish and maintain a current list of registered home inspectors;

o Establish and maintain a current list of national home inspectors associations approved by the Board as meeting the requirements of the law;

o Establish administrative procedures for disciplinary proceedings;

o Establish procedures for processing and resolving complaints;

o Develop a model home inspection contract;

o Oversee a mentoring program.

On what basis or information is the Board going to arrive at these decisions ??

--
Joseph Hagarty

Well if they didn’t do that… what else would they do? At least it isn’t a stacked board like Kentucky (a boad of ASHI/NAHI members chosen from a list made up of ASHI/NAHI members).

This bill seems very even handed and fair. If we have to have licensing... this is the kind of licensing we want. I like it.

Nick

Originally Posted By: rwills

Maybe all references to ASHI are not included in this proposal but read between the lines! Where do you think the part relating to the mentoring program came from? Or the decision to choose which home inspection organizations will participate? Or the best part, located in the PAR overview: “Includes a provision that if a national home inspection association raises its requirements, then the state law automatically equals those standards”. Wonder who there reffering to here? Do you think there will be a NACHI inspector on this board, or have they already been long chosen? Maybe there are no references there but they may as well call it “The ASHI Experience”. Forgive me for being paranoid, but I smell a rat!

BW

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

The bottom line is whether NACHI can get an audience with the sponsors of this bill, and what type of chance does it have of passing.

Joe H, as this is your home state, is NACHI represented, and if not, what will we need to do to get in someone's face?

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

With regard to Philly licensing, if we indeed have a document recognizing NACHI members can join if they pass the NHIE, I would like to see it scanned and posted on this board, in the appropriate thread.

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: wpedley

I agree with Joe and Robert…you have to read between

the lines here. These people at ASHI are just trying to

re-wright the Pa.laws to benefit themselves because they know

if they don’t do something soon there won’t be any ASHI org.

We at NACHI have to find out who these people are and go after

them.Find out who these lawyers are and go after them.I’ll bet they don’t have much of a business if they feel they have to re-invent the wheel

all the time!!!

BPedley

Inspecting for the unexpected

Originally Posted By: khamilton

Just Curious....

What happens if this (probably) ASHI-stacked "Board" does not "approve" of NACHI as a national association meeting the requirements of the law?

It really doesn't matter if we do or we don't if the decision is going to be based on the INTERPRETATION of the law by a group of people with an agenda.

This is starting to walk like a duck!

Quack

Kip

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
Develop a model home inspection contract;

o Oversee a mentoring program.

By them developing a home inspection contract (read agreement) that means that the state is telling the inspector what he can have in his agreement to perform services for the buyer. I seriously doubt they will allow the agreement to be favorable to the inspector.

The mentoring program sounds like it is straight out of ASHI model legislation 101. Garbage, pure and simple garbage.

Maybe I just have a different view of "fair legislation". But then, I think any legislation stinks. Every time a law is passed, we lose freedom.

I'm not liking this......

Kip

Originally Posted By: kpapp

I did a search in the state web site and never did find this “board” listed anywhere so I am guessing that it is still being created.

Something I did find in there is this http://www.phfa.org/links/index.htm in the housing and development area...look in the non gov org area and you will find only one home insp org listed..yup you guessed it NACHI..
Good job guys ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Ken

PS I will keep on looking for anything I can find on this "board".

--

I just called my Representative’s office and made an appointment to talk to him in person about our concerns.

Kip

Originally Posted By: psabados

Man is this looking like New Jersey

Maybe this one should be called Jersey Lite or Jersey II

Need to attack

Paul

Don’t get to paranoid yet:

Kenneth, the link you posted is to a private company, not a state agency. They just call their company an "agency" to decieve the public.

Others, the board is made up of 11 members including 2 gov. employees, a real estate agent, a PE, a member of the public, all picked by the govenor with Senate aproval... not ASHI or NACHI.

Nick

Hey Nick?

I didn?t post any links?

What I did do was to quote directly from the proposed legislation.

Considering what they COULD have come up with, I guess this isn?t too bad?AS LONG AS you are currently an active inspector with over 100 inspections.

Under the guidelines I quoted, those of us just starting out (and even those with fewer than 100 paid inspections, though to a lesser extent) will have an extremely tough time getting the 100 inspections to qualify for licensing. We?ll either have to go to work for an inspection company as an employee to work up to the total necessary to break out or find an agreeable HI to act as a mentor and be ok with us riding along for 100 appointments. These 100 ride alongs will be unpaid for the ?candidate??(can?t imagine that any mentor would increase his fees to cover a few bucks to give to the rookie for the rookie?s time). I can?t afford the time or the financial outlay to accompany another inspector for a hundred appointments for free.

For someone such as myself who is starting out on a part-time basis, if this goes through, it will make it virtually impossible for me to continue.

I am extremely capable, have over 25 years of experience in construction-related fields and the knowledge and desire to make a great inspector and I have worked hard to get to the point I am now and feel like someone is pulling the rug out from under me.

Why shouldn?t I be upset?

Kip

But, will we be represented?

Joe Farsetta

You are reading this correctly. The supervised portion of the law was always there. Many have had their own interpretation of this. Myself, I interpret the law as Direct Supervision. I participated and worked with a mentor for 100 Inspections prior to starting my own business.

Joe F:

The question is not will NACHI be represented. The question is NACHI going to be valid as an Organization in PA?

--
Joseph Hagarty

Ooops Kip, I meant Kenneth. The link he posted is NOT a government agency but a private company trying to trick the public.

Nick

Joe H,

With regard to your final note, this is why I believe the Philly question is critical. Nick has informed me that you may be in possession of a letter from someone from the city board of licensing which states that a NACHI member is eligable for a city HI license provided they have passed the NHIE. If this is the case, and we have documentation acknowledging this, I suggest we scan the document and make it available for viewing by all NACHI PA inspectors. I would also send a copy of it to the State AG Office.

I believe that possession of this letter proves valuable in 3 ways:

affirmation by a city agency that NACHI conforms to the State's current guidelines as a RECOGNIZED HI organization, and

makes it more difficult for new guidelines to exclude NACHI as a recognized HI association, and

gives us ammunition to go after PHIC, Keystone ASHI, Tri-state ASHI, and perhaps NAHI in PA, if any of these orgs continue to claim that we are non compliant.

If you have it, can we scan it and post it? Have any NACHI members, who are not affilliated with either ASHI or NAHI received a city license yet?

--
Joe Farsetta