Pest Control Certification

Originally Posted By: Carl Bury
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi there -

I am a new inspector, and would like to get certified in Illinois to do termite inspections along with my home inspections - seems to be a popular combination here. Can't seem to find any information about training - only the exam through the state. Can you tell me how/where to get started? Thank you.

Carl Bury
A1 Inspection Services

Originally Posted By: Pest Guy

Everything you do should be through your own state

Jeff

www.FORCEpest.com

1-877-762-0131

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

becarefull, pest inspections are invasive, home inspections are non invasive, doesn’t sound big, but the insurance co.s think it is. typical liability insurance jumps to a much more expencive policy. just thought you should know. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: kelliott

To avoid the insurance liability, you might consider simply connecting with a pest control company you know, and make a deal. When you get a call for home inspection and they say “you do termites too, right” you say, sure, but I have someone else perform my termite inspections, and it might not be scheduled on the same day." Then you call this company and schedule the termite, with the understanding that it is done for your client, but billed to you. You can then bill your client whatever you decide for the inspection, and you pay the bill from Joe’s Termite when it comes.

I know inspectors who do this, and charge whatever the termite inspection fee is, just as a courtesy to the client, and just to help nail down the home inspection.

If your termite man finds termites, he will give them his findings, along with an estimate of costs of treatment, and perhaps other recommended services. Those will happen after the sale, and it will be between your client and Joes Termite at that point, because nobody’s going to pay for to treat a house they haven’t bought yet. If you decide to call Joe and mark up his price, you can do that, but you have to be careful how you do it so you don’t get into an ethics problem with kickbacks. If you set the appointment, make the call and hire him, and collect for him, pay him yourself, and add a fee for that, you’re alright. If you simply call Joe and tell him to go to xyz address, he collects the fee, and he then owes you xxx$$$ then it’s a kickback, and you’re in trouble.

However, if Joe gets enough business from you, he “might” be persuaded eventually to give you a better rate, that will put you in a better position with your client.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Carl, I do termite inspections and am licensed by the state of AZ. My insurance went up $500.00. You should be able to contact the state government for regulations

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Keith:

The scenario you present would increase your Liability with regard to the WDI Inspection.

A client would be entering into a contractual agreement with you as well as making payment to your Company for the WDI Inspection as part of the Home Inspection.

If not properly Licensed or Insured, you may find yourself unable to defend a lawsuit if a future condition of Active Termites or WDI damage is found after closing by the Client.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

kelliott wrote:
Then you call this company and schedule the termite, with the understanding that it is done for your client, but billed to you. You can then bill your client whatever you decide for the inspection, and you pay the bill from Joe's Termite when it comes.
Confirm that this process is permissible in your state. It is against the law here in Texas. Don't ask me how I know. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: kelliott

Well, that adds thought to the thinking… I know people who claim that’s how they’re handling termite inspections- in fact one of them is an instructor at a HI school.

But, if you are insured, and just don’t want to do the inspection, I suppose that would be a little different; still, why would you want to carry high-priced insurance on someone else, unless you were really buried in work.

The contractual issue I hadn’t thought of from that perspective, but you’re right. I’m the one they’re hiring, and the Termite guy is just an employee as far as the client-and the law- are concerned.

Think I’ll just stick to referring on request, or using my so far, standard line, that I don’t do termite inspections due to the rising insurance costs, and would prefer they find their own termite company.