Pex to Hose Bib

Does there need to be a section of copper before PEX connects to a hose bib? Is there a standard? I saw it recently and could use a little help.
Thanks.

Craven 120608 115 (Small).jpg

That’s not exactly a hose bib. That’s a ball valve.

Mark, I think John knows that, I believe the hose bibb is a little lower in the picture, where else would you have a water line go near a garage door.? ha. ha.

Marcel :mrgreen::):smiley:

Where’s the spigot?

And I always recommend winterizing those lines in an unconditioned garage.

Dave, right there at the bottom of the photo, don’t you see it?
Heated garage too! In the back corner. :mrgreen::mrgreen:;):slight_smile:

John, I think you need to expand on the extent of your photo and what you are looking at so we can stop guesstimating. ;):slight_smile:

Marcel :):smiley:

I must be going blind…

:):):):p:p:p

My bad…
I need to retrieve CRM - correct picture to follow:oops:

I have seen PEX attached to FROST PROOF hose bib valves.

I would like to see the hose bib John. I would think the answer is it would be OK if the hose bib was well supported so no stress was transfered to the piping.

I see PEX connected directly to angle stops in bathrooms all the time here.

I’ll be back later w/pic

Isn’t PEX supposed to be more forgiving under freezing temps? I don’t get to see it at all since it’s still not allowed around here. However, all the big box stores still supply it.

Jeff

PEX piping is freeze damage resistant and can expand and contract as water freezes and thaws within the tubing. No tubing material is freeze-break proof, however, and PEX should be installed using the same locally-prescribed insulation requirements to prevent freezing of any plumbing system.

I’m seeing it all the time here on New Construction in unconditioned spaces and we have absolute frezzing temperatures. Today was 11 degrees F. I haven’t seen PEX freeze yet.

If the hose bibb is properly fastened to the wall you can have pex going to it.

If the pex passes through brick it must have a sleeve.

And now the updated picture…

Then as I was leaving I saw this that wasn’t there yesterday!

Couple questions John.

Why would they bother insulate a section of the horizontal pex and not the vertical and this is not a frostless hose bibb.
I guess the plumber just use a boiler drain for a hose bibb on the exterior and also like to just drill from the outside and let it blow in. ha. ha. :slight_smile:

Marcel :):smiley:

I see pex and an elbow, when do we get to see the hose bib.:smiley:

Yeah, where’s the bib?

And the insulation will not prevent that supply line from freezing. It needs to be winterized.

It looks like blue pex continuing through the CMU. Typically, if it was frost free, the back part of the spigot shaft would be visible on the inside.