Plumbing in Pa. Fernco acceptable?

Hey Ya-all, I am trying to find out if Fernco is acceptable in vertical plumbing IN Pennsylvania. I was under the impression that is should never be used behind sheetrock in a horizontal or vertical application and is a Fernco acceptable for pressurized [2 sump pumps] waste drain pipe into septic. I don’t think it should because of dry rot and pressurized flow from the 2 sump pumps. I am not finding code literature on this.

Fernco Flexible Couplings have found wide acceptance among sewer and plumbing contractors and municipalities because of their quality and ease of installation. Fernco pipe couplings and adapters are used for all types of in-house and sewer connections: drain, waste, vent piping, house-to-main, repairs, cut- ins, conductor, roof drains and increasers-reducers. Manufacturing thousands of different flexible coupling types, Fernco has the right solution for most applications.

Made of tough elastomeric polyvinyl chloride (PVC), the flexible couplings are strong, resilient and unaffected by soil conditions. They are also resistant to chemicals, ultraviolet rays, fungus growth, and normal sewer gases due to the inert nature and physical properties of the PVC material. Fernco flexible couplings are leak-proof, rot-proof and seal against infiltration and exfiltration, giving you confidence in your pipe connections.

that is from Fernco

this is from the PA code book

P3003.5.2 Mechanical Joints

Mechanical joints shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

so if Fernco says its okay I guess it is okay.

here in missouri it is also okay to put a fernco in a wall vent pipe. sometimes you have to replace the cast iron drain pipe and you can just cut the vent in the wall and install a fernco to attach the cast to pvc drain pipe.

1 Like

A Fernco is a mechanical joint and it’s not approved for above ground installation. Since you only mentioned the name brand Fernco I will assume you are talking about the rubber coupling with only two clamps. I see these couplings all the time on inspections. Some designs are approved for above ground installation.

Thank you, the references you provided are helpful.

yes, rubber coupling with 2 clamps… I am looking at copper to galvanized with a clog in the galvenised, copper was cut, a section removed { so it could be snaked] and 2 rubber couplings and a piece of PVC 2" inserted in place of missing copper pipe behind sheet rock in drainage line.

I posted your states requirements for mechanical joints^^^^^^^

you rock, thank you!

1 Like

Just so you have a clear understanding what a mechanical joint is. Good luck in your endeavors.

Yes, I know. I am not familiar with Pa. regulations. I am born and raised by a massachusetts building inspector and master builder/GC.
Pennsylvania is a challenge for me so far with lowering of standards
best regards, Katrina C


Thank You !!

1 Like

Be thankful you’re not in NE Georgia. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I think it just gets worse the further south you go……sorry Florida.


I am Definitely thankful. Smiling

1 Like

I was spoiled learning from masters of their trades. I didn’t appreciate their EXACTING approach until I saw what other’s standards are.

1 Like

Bring photos next time, we love photo’s lol