Plumbing inspection - time limit

Originally Posted By: Tim Wagner
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Ladies and Gentleman,

I having real difficulty with a plumbing inspector in Michigan. My question to you is this:

Is there a maximum time limit between when I request a re-inspection and when the inspector actually shows up?

Some say 72 hours, some say no limit. The state says no limit, but I don't trust them at all.

If there is a limit, what am I allowed to do once the limit passes.

Thankyou very much!
I've found your forum very informational!

Originally Posted By: wengelking

Reading between the lines, I am assuming your plumbing inspector is a city or state employee. If that is the case, all you can do is beg, be pleasant and hope for the best. I really don’t think you have much recourse for any extended waiting period.

That being said, these people do have a boss. That boss may also be a staff member or an elected official. Go to that boss, be pleasant, but state your case in detail. You may get some results.

Walter

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am dealing with a state employee. Since the state has no competition, they really do not seem to care. I did try the contact the boss method today. Hopefully that does not backfire.

It was the right thing to do though, because no one should be treated like this.

Thanks again,

Tim

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

In Ohio the inspector MUST inspect within four days or you are permit to proceed.

I'll bet your state has some limit on time.

"I having real difficulty with a plumbing inspector in Michigan."

Ask him if he has completed the ICC course "Increasing the Credibility of the Code Official"? If not tell him to take it.

If I am in the instructional video I am the one with the bald spot on the back of his head.

PS This course beside being informative, was given by one of the most professional individuals that I have ever met.

Mike P.

Thankyou also,

This gentleman definitely could use that course.

I made a freedom of information act request regarding the time limit, so we'll see if they honor that.

Thanks,

Tim