Plumbing nightmare

So, these traps are setup in a way I am not used to seeing. The first one seems like a really long trap. Are they acceptable?

Also, the water lines were a mix of copper, galvanized, polybutelyne, and ppvc. The hot line on the water heater had copper with a connection to galvanized piping and the cold line was straight galvanized. Who the heck did this plumbing!?

Drains must be smooth wall (i/d) and there are other issues as you know.

There was also a 98% efficient furnace that seemed to have a condensation line pump whose water line was connected to PPVC water supply lines. ???

The first image shows the pump with the line going out. The line wrapped around the furnace and is the line where the yellow arrow is pointing in the second image.

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Report the rust under the fan.
What is that a Heil?

It is a Coleman 9.C 98% efficient furnace. 2010

Sheehan, no disrespect intended, but did you receive formal HI training?

There are some horrible issues in your pictures that should be clearly evident to anyone with any training in this field.

I did my schooling with AHIT. They don’t really go over all of the issues there could be; just what to watch out for. I definitely don’t know everything. Please educate me.

I am familiar with AHIT.

Those traps and drains aren’t even close.

Trap seals are restricted to a maximum depth of four inches. The flexible drain lines are not approved (as Bob mentioned), and a tail piece is being used as a horizontal drain line. All fittings must be listed and used in a manner consistent with their listing.

It sounds like you are aware of the PB issues. Am I correct in this assumption?

The galvanized elbow appears to be connected to a copper fitting (rather than a brass fitting), which would also be wrong.

Yes, I am aware of the PB issues as well as the flexible drain piping. With handyman work you never know what people come up with so even though I am educated on how traps work, I don’t always know if a particular setup is correct.

I knew from the moment I saw the water heater and pipe connections that it was a mess done unprofessionally. Thanks for clarifying the verbiage on the drain pipes.

Was not trying to do a full catalog as your question was about the accordion and you have enough to recommend Plumber review.

If something looks funny or different it is always a good idea to research it.
You knew something was wrong so make sure you have lots of document files.
You will be fine.

Seems I am always looking something up.

As Jeff said there are more issues.

This powerpoint rocks if you want to study up a bit once in a while…http://bestlineplumbing.com/DrainCodes.htm

Are you sure about that…

Besides what has already been mentioned, the pump where your yellow arrow is pointing to is most likely a pump which pumps the water from the furnace or A/C to a floor drain in a remote location. I see this a lot when there is no drain nearby.

It looks like the ‘plumber’ used whatever he had in his pocket at the time to do his work.

Bob, thanks for the link!

Marcel, I’m not too sure about the difference between PPVC and PEX. Any help would be appreciated.

Curtis, that is EXACTLY how I said it to the client: “It looks like the ‘plumber’ used whatever he had in his pocket at the time to do his work.”

Considering all of the defects that are visible, I would be concerned with what was NOT visible. When I see “workmanship” like this, I have no problem deferring the entire plumbing system for evaluation and repair by a qualified plumber.

The components of this system were not installed/modified by a plumber (even if there is a license that says so), it was done by a hack that had no idea what they were doing. I would not endorse a single component within the plumbing supply or DWV systems.

Sheehan,

My post was in reference to your comments about being supply line in pics 1 & 2 where as it is a drain line for the condensate pump.