Plylox clips

Does anyone know if Plylox clips meet the opening protection criteria for a wind mit?

Didn’t like the answers you got yesterday? :slight_smile:

https://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/plylox-clips-122057/

Couldn’t find it! Thanks!

http://plylox.com/wp/test-reports/
The following conclusions are supported by the findings in this report:
Plylox clips, as tested in NAHB Research Center Reports P03-243022503 and P03- 243-061603, when installed according to the spacing provided in Table 5 of report # P03-243022503, meet or exceed the requirements for attachment of wood structural panels for window and door protection against wind-borne debris as required in 1999 Standard Building Code (SBC), the 2001 Florida Building Code (FBC), the SBCCI SSTD 10-99 Standard, the 2000 International Residential Code (IRC) and the 2000 International Building Code (IBC) for hurricane-prone regions.*

I haven’t looked to see if they have an “approval” with the state…even if they didn’t, local approval is a possibility.

There is no approval in the State of Florida for these. The FBC requirements for structural panel opening protection does not allow for fastening to the inside of the opening. Don’t waste your time trying to submit “other information” to verify these for selection “C”, as most, it not all, insurers provide no discounts for this selection.

Incorrect AGAIN! Big surprise…

104.11 Alternative materials, design and methods of construction and equipment. **
The provisions of this code are not intended to prevent the installation of any material or to prohibit any design or method of construction not specifically prescribed by this code, provided that any such alternative has been approved. An alternative material, design or method of construction shall be approved where the building official finds that the proposed design is satisfactory and complies with the intent of the provisions of this code, and that the material, method or work offered is, for the purpose intended, at least the equivalent of that prescribed in this code in quality, strength, effectiveness, fire resistance, durability and safety.*

The Florida Building Code is a “deem to comply” document Brad, you don’t even have to use the FBC to construct your home in Florida. An equivalent standard of building that is deemed to comply with the “minimum requirements” of the FBC is all that’s required, chapter 3 even lists some of those minimum standards:

*R301.1.1 Alternative provisions.
As an alternative to the requirements in Section R301.1 the following standards are permitted subject to the limitations of this code and the limitations therein. Where engineered design is used in conjunction with these standards, the design shall comply with the Florida Building Code, Building.

1. AF&PA Wood Frame Construction Manual (WFCM).

2. AISI Standard for Cold-Formed Steel Framing— Prescriptive Method for One- and Two-Family Dwellings (AISI S230).

3. ICC Standard on the Design and Construction of Log Structures (ICC 400). *

I do not think there is a friggen chance. I do not even believe Plywood done properly would get a discount but I do not know for sure. Would they work and protect a home? I think likely but I’ll bet they will not get any insurance discounts. Kind of like the SH-T people sell for people to reinforce their old garage doors they buy them to get the discount then find out they do NOTHING for Impact rating. :frowning: Good Luck. Let us know what happened.

What’s this: http://www.miamidade.gov/building/library/productcontrol/noa/10011201.pdf

Didn’t know about that one, but that is for storefront applications. Not the same as what’s in Home Depot and hardware stores.

…OP never said which one was used. It’s not for "storefront, it’s just labeled as “commercial”. Again, if the BO says it meets the intent of the FBC, even without a Florida or Miami-Dade approval, it qualifies.

http://plylox.com/wp/commercial-clips/

http://plylox.com/wp/

If they are not listed they may meet code but it does not mean there is a credit for it.

Think SWR and SWB.

The product “meets” 2001 FBC section 1606.1.4 (table 1606.2b) per the test report, go compare this with the 2007 FBC table 1609.1.2. This “section” of the FBC was changed in 2007 to add SSTD-12 and ANSI/DASMA 115 for garage doors and rolling doors, section 1 “exceptions” (which is for the use of plywood) remained with a few additions to the minimum requirements.

“Plylox” qualifies under “alternative methods”…it’s even stated in the report provided by the manufacturer.

Hence, this installation would be compliant with the standards listed in the 2007 FBC under 1609.1.2 for ASTM E 1886 and E 1996, TAS 201, 202, and 203. These same standards are listed in section 1606.1.4 of the 2001 FBC for “compliance”.

Your lack of knowledge of the building codes has yet again potentially cost another person grief and a false report…seems to be a trend with you.

You are not an insurer or underwriter John…stop trying to complete the form for “credits” just so you can get another “referral”.

LOL

You are a funny guy.

You’re dangerous John, you are dangerous because you lack any knowledge of how our building codes work…and you are putting families in danger and costing them financially with your constant mistakes.

Queue the “it’s not a code inspection so I don’t have to defend my statements against it” response…

So these don’t qualify? Have you contacted every insurer in the state to verify this? I know three that I met with who do not accept “seam-tape” as a SWRB…yet you have no issues with qualifying that even though it’s not listed on the form…

Funny how that works…huh “funny guy”.

You should take your meds

…you should pick up a book or two, start with this one: https://www.amazon.com/2010-Florida-Building-Code/dp/1609831845

Robert,

Hello, are you saying that YES a home with those would be an accepted and get them a protection credit? I did not look them up but it looks like there is Nothing permantly mounted to the structure so how would you inspect it? Have them installed when you get there and photograph?

Robert, look at the drawings again for the commercial Plylox clip. It’s a completely different clip used to attach 3/4" plywood to a storefront protruding frame. Big difference, and only approved if the drawing (and product) is adhered to. Standard Plylox clips at Home Depot are not compliant for any selection on the 1802, except “N2”.

“Approval”

Their and many links and articles on how to achieve this…if the product is installed with a permit…then it has met the requirements of “approval” by the BO for the Florida Building Code…a “Florida product approval” or “Miami-Dade NOA” is not required in Florida, and it is not the only means of attaining “approval”. The document provided by the manufacturer would be sufficient evidence of compliance for a BO to accept it…if the BO accepts it as complaint, so should you…unless of course, you wish to challenge the BO…I would love to see you do that with your limited knowledge on the building codes. I have done it, and won…the 1802 is a “deem to comply” document just as the building codes adopted into the form via rule of law. therefore, an “alternative method” qualifies…

You know…kinda like “seam-tape” isn’t listed on the form but…well…you know the story…

At some point you guys gotta make up your mind…I know the whole “if we keep them guessing then they will always need to come back” process…but you guys are creating mass confusion because you can’t seem to keep your stories straight.

First it’s “just do what the form says”, then it’s “the form doesn’t need to list it to qualify”…