wood panels for opening protection.

On a Wind Mit, if the owner has wood panels that are used for opening protection, do the fasteners need to be permanently installed?

The form refers to Table 1609.1.2 of the 2007 FBC for fastener spacing. If you read that section of the code, not just look at the table, it says that the attachement hardware must be provided and “anchors permanently installed on the building”.

That is the way I have been looking at it but todays’s customer had a previous inspection that gave them the credit. (even though the spacing of the fasteners was not correct and the fasteners were not installed, just holes in the wall)

Just wanted to make sure I am looking at it the same way everyone else is.

Holes in the wall? Without permanent fasteners installed (ready for deployment), it does not comply with FBC. Incorrect spacing of the fasteners would also not comply with FBC. The selection should be N(2).

Thanks Brad,

I felt I was doing it correctly but wanted to get another opinion.

I am not sure so I am asking. Do they get any discount for those? I did not think they did.

I agree with Mike. Wouldn’t it be an unverified means of protection?

And if that is the case why noy mark and move on. What difference would it make how it is installed.

Does anyone have any insight as to source material for wood panels qualifying as opening protection? I can only find plywood anchoring requirements. My client has 3/4" hardwood plank panels with anchor attachments but insurance is asking me to provide etching, smh. Would this not be the same as plywood or better? I’m being told w/o impact rating they cannot get the credit.

It’s not rated, and the “product” needs to be installed with a specific set of fastener requirements (and embedment details) that ain’t there.

Wood structural panels with a minimum thickness of 7/16 inch (11.1 mm) and a maximum span of 8 feet (2438 mm) shall be permitted for opening protection in one- and two-story buildings. Panels shall be precut so that they shall be attached to the framing surrounding the opening containing the product with the glazed opening. Panels shall be predrilled as required for the anchorage method and all required hardware shall be provided. Attachment shall be designed to resist the components and cladding loads determined in accordance with the provisions of Section 1609.6.1.2, with permanent corrosion-resistant attachment hardware provided and anchors permanently installed on the building. Attachment in accordance with Table 1609.1.4, with permanent corrosion-resistant attachment hardware provided and anchors permanently installed on the building, is permitted for buildings with a mean roof height of 45 feet (13 716 mm) or less where wind speeds do not exceed 140 mph (63 m/s)

2 Likes