Wind Mitigation New Construction

I am inspecting a new home built in Palm Beach County. Normally a Wind Mitigation is required for new insurance policies. The buyer has been told that he will not need one. I understand that that all of the new codes make it mandatory for the builder to use the correct decking, nail lengths, deck nail spacing, SWR and truss straps. The only questionable area would be the opening protections. Is it mandatory for the builder to protect the openings so that the owner receives the maximum (A-A.1) credit? If so, which building code (year) specifies this?

2001 FBC (Florida Building Code)

SWR is not necessarily required by FBC. Wind mitigation would determine the level of Roof to Wall (ie clip, single wrap, double wrap) and would also determine the Roof Geometry (ie Hip or Other)

Where in the 2001 FBC does it state the glazing needs to be rated? I have done wind mitigations here outside the HVHZ and could not give the credit due to non rated glazing.

**I am not questioning you, I just want to learn. **I am going through the 2001 FBC and can’t find anything in chapter 17.

What section is it located in Dennis?

Look in chapter 2 Shawn.

Bert

SECTION 2410
HIGH VELOCITY HURRICANE ZONES
GENERAL

2410.1 Exterior wall cladding, surfacing and glazing, where
provided, shall be as set forth in 2410 through 2415.

2410.2 Exterior wall cladding, surfacing and glazing shall be
designed and constructed to sufficiently resist the full pressurization
from the wind loads prescribed in Chapter 16
(High Velocity Hurricane Zones) and the concentrated loads
that result from hurricane-generated wind-borne debris.

1. Exterior wall cladding, surfacing and glazing, within
the lowest 30 feet (9.1 m) of the exterior building walls
shall be of sufficient strength to resist large missile
impacts as outlined in Chapter 16 (High Velocity
Hurricane Zones).

1. Exterior wall cladding, surfacing and glazing located
    above the lowest 30 feet of the exterior building walls
    shall be of sufficient strength to resist small missile
    impacts as outlined in Chapter 16 (High Velocity
    Hurricane Zones).

Exception. Exterior wall cladding, surfacing and glazing
when protected by fixed, operable or portable shutters
or screens which have Product Approval to resist
full pressurization from wind loads as well as large and
small missile impacts as outlined in the High Velocity
Hurricane provisions of Chapter 16, without deforming
to the point where the substrate being protected is compromised.

I found this in chapter 24. Weird cause I did a 2005 built home yesterday and the glass was non impact, nor was there shutters, Since building was really good prior to 2007, were they getting piss poor inspections or am I missing something??

I knew about the 30 feet rule for large missile impact.

Yes meant to write 24 not 2. Sorry but glad you found it.

Bert

I figued you meant 24, when I saw 2 I knew it wasn’t in the glossary of terms :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if this is just for Miami Dade and Broward County in this chapter.

How about just doing what your client asks of you? A roof shape or a changed out door could always make a huge difference.

Do not try to tell people what you think insurance companies or anyone else may or may not do or need.

Not your business and no benefit to you. Just do what the clients asks for and just answer the questions on the form.

NO OFFENSE INTENDED just trying to tell all how they should look at similar situations.

1 Like

Yes it is. Without looking it up, the glazing requirements for the rest of us (WBDR) started with the 2004 cycle.

The 1802 for FBC built homes is only good for Roof Shape, SWR, and Opening Protection.

Ok, so that explains it, cause 2006 permitted dwellings have all been rated or had shutters, Thank you Brad… possibly the 2005 one I believed was permitted early 2004 before the code cycle came out.

Mike I understand but it is good to learn.

And the 2004 cycle didn’t start until 10/01/2005.

Ok, good to know!!

You guys are in the wrong code book if you’re inspecting residential:

2010 Florida Building Code: Residential R301.2.1.2 Protection of openings. **
Windows in buildings located in windborne debris regions shall have glazed openings protected from windborne debris. Glazed opening protection for windborne debris shall meet the requirements of the Large Missile Test of ASTM E 1996, ASTM E 1886, SSTD 12 or TAS 201,202 and 203 or AAMA 506 referenced therein. Garage door glazed opening protection for windborne debris shall meet the requirements of an *app
ro**ved* impact resisting standard or ANSI/DASMA 115.

Specifically, the requirements for protection of glazed openings was regional. As a reference, Palm Beach County adopted the provisions of SSTD-12 in 1997 which is located outside of the HVHZ.

…in addition, if this was truly a new structure it is considered a code inspection per statute. Did you inform the client of their statutory rights under new construction?

To further muddy the waters, I do believe some underwriters can give hip credit without the wind mit.

Palm Beach County adopted the provisions of SSTD-10 in 1994 and SSTD-12 in 1997, which essentially makes a structure with a permit application date after this period compliant with the Florida Building Code pre 2002 in Palm Beach County. The 2001 FBC was heavily based on the Standard Building Code, which was already in affect in Palm Beach County since 1957.

…you’re all wrong!

2001 Florida Building Code: Development Chapter 98-287, Laws of Florida, established the Florida Building Commission and directed it to develop the Code. In October 1998 the Commission selected the model codes which form the base requirements of the Code. These base codes were then amended to tailor requirements, including energy, accessibility and hurricane resistance, to be Florida specific. The draft Code was presented to the 2000 Florida Legislature which directed specific changes and authorized, by Chapter 2000-141, Laws of Florida, the final Code to become effective July 1, 2001. The Commission completed the changes and reconsideration directed by the Legislature and adopted this first edition of the Code by administrative rule in January 2001.

The base codes include: the Standard Building Code, 1997 edition; the National Electrical Code®, 1999 edition; the Standard Plumbing Code, 1997 edition; the International Mechanical Code, 1998 edition; the International Fuel Gas Code, 1997 edition; and, structural requirements of the South Florida Building Code as they apply to the “High Velocity Hurricane Zone.” State codes adopted include the Florida Energy Efficiency Code for Building Construction and the Florida Accessibility Code for Building Construction and the Fair Housing Guidelines.
FLORIDA BUILDING CODE — BUILDING

Just did a new construction this week where client didn’t need the 1802. Insurance company gave all credits since it is new construction (even hip roof).