polybutylene?

https://secure.cgi-ibs1.com/classact/home_e.htm

Canadian Polybutylene Claims Facility
Lock Box 200
150 Commerce Valley Drive West
Markham, Ontario
L3T 7Z3
Canada

Thanks Brian. Just to clarify as I agree it is generally suspect pipe, the distinguishing feature to be aware of appears to be the “acetal fittings”. And remember they could be in hiding the walls. :mad:

A. You are a member of the settlement class if you are a person or entity:
(1) who owns or who previously owned any improvements to real property or structures in any of the Canadian provinces or territories in which there is or was during the time of such ownership, a polybutylene plumbing system with acetal insert fittings, and/or (2) who owns or who previously owned any improvements to real property or structures in any of the Canadian provinces or territories in which there is or was during the time of such ownership, a polybutylene heating system with acetal insert fittings,
I see poly pipe with crimp rings and copper elbows used somewhat in water tank installations and upgrades, but it’s all pex in the new homes.

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca

Due to the class action pay outs they stopped making PB in 1995. PB deteriates when exposed to higher temperatures, chlorine, and UV light. It lasted longer in Alberta because the connections were made with copper fittings and copper clamps but it is still failing at a higher rate then other materials. The real cost is not the leak itself but the damage done when the leak happens while you are away for more then a few days. When I find this stuff I recommend that the water be shut off at the Stop and Waste when you are going away for more then a day. I also expain the short comings of this product. The selling realtors get pissed but my clients usually hire me again so I keep out of trouble and business increases.

Yes my associate lives out by Albert Head, it’s the Canadian Mendicino. I’ve also been to Peterborough, home of some of my in-laws. It’s OK out there too, skating on the lake, yet?. :cool:

The vent hose was uninsulated, impossible to wrap. I don’t know if uninsulated metal is better in that regard, but it is simple to insulate, smooth-walled, and you can clean it. :mrgreen:

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca

Yeah, it’s OK, but it’s no Van. Island!! I’m like you, from the Island and my in-laws are from here.
Ever been to Coombs to see the goats on the roof? I wonder how that roof gets inspeced?! Guess it doesn’t!

Paul-Marc

Just found this in a condo unit - probably in all units…

I see they were able to solder a copper connector for the CPVC pipe, but they couldn’t install the 18" copper stubs on the tank for heatproofing. :cool:

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca

Todays home built in 1994 had PB. This is what i typically report for PB:

Polybutylene supply lines present (See Plumbing Photo #2). This type pipe has a history of failures and has been involved in a class action law suit. Homeowners with polybutylene can register with the Consumer Plumbing Recovery Center to become eligible to file a claim should failures occur. For complete information on the class action and settlement, please call 1-800-392-7591 or visit www.pbpipe.com. Additional anecdotal data is available on the world wide web by searching “Polybutylene Piping”. There was no evidence of active leaking noted at the time of the inspection.

Did you send all the residents a mailing about the PB?