Poor craftsmanship or something more concerning?

I am inspecting this newly remodeled home tomorrow and based on the Zillow pictures it looks the drywall ceiling joints are buckling in on each other. Curious on your thoughts for what would cause this. Is it poor craftsmanship or something more concerning? Thanks!

1 Like

Be on notice, but don’t judge based on pics from any realtor type websites.

8 Likes

Looks like poor joint compound application/finishing from that photo. Also, pay attention to that support beam. Aside from being irregular in width, that’s also one hell of a span. Have the agent submit an OPRA request. Looks like a lot of load bearing wall was removed.

16 Likes

Going by the pic, it looks like the work was done by a nonprofessional, Bad Craftsmanship.

Oh, Welcome to the forum, Joshua. Enjoy!!

7 Likes

Welcome to our forum, Joshua!..enjoy participating. :smiley:

3 Likes

look at the floor with the butt ends aligned every other course. this is a sure sign of an amateur installation. I don’t see a handrail on the stairs (possibly its on the other side). Like others have said already, be on the look out for the quality of this flip. You might find a lot of short cuts, improper installation, and signs of ignorance of standard building practice.

8 Likes

I appreciate the comments everyone! Wasn’t sure what to expect with my first forum post, but defiantly impressed with how helpful everyone is. Excited to be a part of the community!

6 Likes

Agreed…

2 Likes

Good eye, Bert, and you are correct. This is usually prohibited on the installation guidelines.

Josh, here is a disclaimer I have started adding in to all my remodeled homes, feel free to copy:
"This property appears to have been recently purchased and has undergone renovations for the intent of reselling, or “flipping”. There is a high probability that there will be issues that cannot be visually identified on the day of the inspection, or that have been concealed. There may be underlying deficiencies that are unaddressed or unidentifiable during this inspection. This may also include concerns that work may have been performed without proper permits, and city inspections to meet local and national building codes, before being concealed. Due diligence relating to permit research, and any seller disclosures should be considered before purchase. "

10 Likes

What is that?

1 Like

The joints look like they are bubbled. It could just be a one-coat poor finish, that wasnt blended, but I would push on them to see if they are loose. Could be they didnt have sufficient mud behind the tape when applied, in which case the joints would need to be scraped and re-done.

3 Likes

Daniel, I like your narrative. That’s good stuff. Can I borrow it?

NO! Cheater!!! :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :wink:

1 Like

Weird question: Would it be going too far to complain the the receptacle under the right side window is on a king stud and the receptacle under the left window is on a jack stud, making the placement asymmetric and messing with my OCD? Yeah, probably going too far. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Alternative narrative if you are going for brevity. But, not as thorough as Daniels.

The home appears to have undergone significant upgrades or modifications, many of which likely require a building permit. Recommend requesting all work related documentation from the seller such as design plans, scope of work, applicable warranties and work permits. Work permits are available at the local building department, often online.

1 Like

Most flipped homes in my area are 1920s’ vintage or so. Almost guaranteed that all those receptacles are open ground.

1 Like

Wife will like the coochie warmer

8 Likes

Brian wins! :rofl:

4 Likes

Until she catches her foot skin on that thing, which is in a high-traffic area.

1 Like

Well, barefoot in the kitchen. Her feet should be plenty tough if she is worth her salt! :skull: I am a dead man now.

2 Likes